My '83 Wont' Start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pac13man

My '83 Wont' Start

Postby pac13man » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board so "Hello" to everyone out there. I've got a 1983 Goldwing Interstate that has seen some moderate neglect from the previous owner but, hey, I only paid $1800 for it and it only had 67k mileage on it. I've had it for a few years now and I have it pretty well in order. Now, there's a problem I'm trying to figure out.

When I went to ride it back in December, it cranked momentarily then died completely. No lights no anything. It had been sitting for about a month before that. I suspected it was the burned-in-the-past wire connector that goes to the starter solenoid. After rewiring those 4 wires to make proper contact, the motorcycle lights came on with the key and it cranked like it was going to start. I basically ran the battery down trying to start the engine. I recharged the battery overnight and tried again next morning. No luck. It just cranks but does not start.

I tried pulling a spark plug and grounding it against the case and cranking. It had a good spark. I checked the air cleaner and tried cranking with it removed but no luck. I checked the fuel pump and it pumped fuel. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the pump and the fuel filter. No luck. Next, I pulled off a spark plug and inserted a rolled up papertowel into the cylinder and cranked. It came out dry. So, I pulled off the air intake and cranked using full choke and no choke. Even though there's fuel in the tank and in the lines, there was no fuel coming out of the carb into the intake.

It sounds like I've got everything I need but fuel to the cylinders. Any idea what that would indicate with the carb? Stuck float? Clogged jets? Is there a way to clean the carb out and get it working short of removing it from the bike and disassembling it? Or is there another diagnosis? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pac13man

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: My '83 Wont' Start

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:28 pm

It sounds like you've done everything right so far - you've got spark, you've got air, but no fuel delivered from the carb.

The next thing I would try is to figure out what part of the carb is not functioning. Try to start it again, but while cranking, also quickly crank the throttle from closed to wide open, over and over. This will cause the accelerator pump to inject fuel directly, bypassing the float/jet circuit. If that gets it started, and it dies as soon as you stop pumping it, then you're looking at stuck float or clogged jets - or both.

If it's been left sitting with untreated gas in it, then that's probably your problem. And I hate to say it - you aren't going to be fixing that without pulling the carbs off.

pac13man

Postby pac13man » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm into another problem with my 1983 Goldwing that I haven't been able to figure out. When I turn the key to the "ON" position, I get nothing. No lights or anything, just a dead curcuit. My radio comes on in the "ACC" position but nothing in the "ON" position. I replaced the starter solenoid with a new one but that didn't change anything. I've disassembled the engine kill switch but it looks brand new. The wires going to the starter solenoid are good. The 30 am dog-bone fuse is brand new. I pulled the saddle to check for broken or grounded wires - nothing. I tried operating the clutch thinking that might have something to do with the problem - nothing. Any ideas out there?

pac13man

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I would be looking at the key switch, I think. Is there any power coming out of the "On" wire of the key switch when it is switched on?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”