Starting problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
goatheed
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Starting problem

Postby goatheed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 am

I am having a bit of trouble starting my GL1100. I get a click from the solenoid but the bike does not turn over. The battery seems OK and it starts off jump leads from the car.

I suspect the solenoid might be at fault.

Any ideas ?

jimac
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Starting problem

Postby jimac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 am

Could be the solenoid. I had a similar problem and that's what it turned out to be.

You can try a couple of simple tests:

Get a jump cable and connect one end to the positive terminal on your battery and the other to the connector on the starter motor. This should turn the motor immediately if your battery is good (be careful as there is alot of current involved and you will probably see sparks). If the motor doesn't turn the problem is either your battery or the motor itself. If the motor does turn it is probably the solenoid.

Connect a voltmeter to the starter motor with the positive lead on the starter motor connector and the negative on the battery negative lead (or a good earth point). Press the starter button and see what voltage is displayed. It needs to be at least 10v. If there is no voltage it is likely to be the solenoid at fault. If there is a low voltage it could still be the solenoid, or it might be a loose or corroded connection on either the solenoid or the starter motor.

Try removing the connections from the solenoid and cleaning them up with some emery cloth or fine sandpaper. If it still looks like the solenoid it will cost about £60 from David Silver spares.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”