slow speedometer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
fynespirits
Motorcycle: Gl 1100 a 1982

slow speedometer

Postby fynespirits » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 pm

My speedometer on my 82 aspencade reads lower than the actual speed I travel at .
when doing 30 mph it reads 16 -17 mph ?
is there something that is a common problem that causes this please ?
will strip and clean cable tomorrow while balancing the carbs !
and cleaning the bike !

The wrong side of 30 yrs old ,
over 600 lbs , and she can still turn heads with her looks !! :lol:

fynespirits

Re: slow speedometer

Postby fynespirits » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Forgot to add that the needle stays calm , no bouncing or flickering !

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Good evening in your world, while you are at it remove and clean and grease the drive gear for the speedo cable, see how to articles - how to remove your front tire - this is likely where you will find your problem. Good luck and keep us posted. :D :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 am

A few things can cause this. The two easiest (and cheapest) are already mentioned - the speedo drive and the cable.

If both of those are in good shape, then the issue is inside the speedometer itself - and it is neither easy to fix or even get to (it is not made to be serviced).

How about your odometer? Is it accurate? If it is accurate (check its measurement against a known distance) but the speedometer is still low, then the problem is likely the speedometer. If it also reads less than the actual miles travelled, then the problem is likely the drive or cable.

You can do the same thing on the highway: Speed up until you show exactly 60 mph. Reset the trip odometer to zero, then time exactly two minutes at 60 mph. If the odometer reads 2.0 miles after two minutes, then the problem is likley the drive or cable. If the odometer reads higher than 2.0 miles after two minutes, then the problem is probably the speedometer.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:05 am

A rumor started by Harley owners is that our metric bikes often have a speedo & odometer that are reading less than true (lower). I often roll my eyes and pass them... :roll:
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:01 pm

WingAdmin wrote:A few things can cause this. The two easiest (and cheapest) are already mentioned - the speedo drive and the cable.

If both of those are in good shape, then the issue is inside the speedometer itself - and it is neither easy to fix or even get to (it is not made to be serviced).

How about your odometer? Is it accurate? If it is accurate (check its measurement against a known distance) but the speedometer is still low, then the problem is likely the speedometer. If it also reads less than the actual miles travelled, then the problem is likely the drive or cable.

You can do the same thing on the highway: Speed up until you show exactly 60 mph. Reset the trip odometer to zero, then time exactly two minutes at 60 mph. If the odometer reads 2.0 miles after two minutes, then the problem is likley the drive or cable. If the odometer reads higher than 2.0 miles after two minutes, then the problem is probably the speedometer.

Pardon me, but I trust you mean-drive 60 mph according to a gps, and not according to his speedo?
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 am

f1xrupr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:A few things can cause this. The two easiest (and cheapest) are already mentioned - the speedo drive and the cable.

Pardon me, but I trust you mean-drive 60 mph according to a gps, and not according to his speedo?

Correct.

fynespirits

Postby fynespirits » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info ,
not had a chance to fix this as yet but , hopefully this week I will get round to it !

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”