Carburetor partial rebuild ???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Carburetor partial rebuild ???

Postby velvetrider » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Blackvelvet ran great,even after oil got into the water. Chronic over heating just started so I had to ACT. Now with New head gaskets & timing belts & valve job completed. Carbs. are off, still attached to Plenum. I had periodic gas hydraulic in # 2 or 4 cylinder, I simply turned off fuel every time I stopped for more than an hour. I swear I can't remember if it was #2 or #4 jugs that filled, hell I can hardly remember what I ate for lunch, lol. I really think it was #4. I have a new # 3 accel pump parts to put in; Very limited budget right now so I am doing all the work myself. I am Not going to separate carbs if possible. Just getting um out of the bike was a bear. She ran great except for the Hydro lock problem. Do you guys got any info to simplify the problem ? Frankly I am going cross eyed watching U Tube clips. As far as I can tell the inside of carbs are clean. I imagine I can purchase plenum O rings from Rondac if I have to separate them. $225. for a complete rebuild kit is not in budget. So does Any one have insights or the "straight skinny" on what my best course of action should be ?

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Carburetor partial rebuild ???

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:02 am

This reply will be only from my experience as I did a carburetor clean up on my 1100 last winter. Instead of doing a complete rebuild last winter I did a good clean up. The carbs did function, but I too had a leak and ended up with gas getting into a (more?) cylinder. Hydrolock, destroyed motor. The problem was most likely the result of poor functioning floats.

Randakk's parts are pricey, but they have a good track record. I intend to buy the kit for mine and a stator to boot. Their stator is about $40 more than I can buy elsewhere, but, well you know. It is going to be cold in North Carolina pretty soon just like here, so you will have some forced downtime and that will be a great time to do it. Doing things right is always the way to go. Or, you can just keep turning off the gas, if you can remember to do that, and play cylinder roulette.

This is your conscience speaking. :-)

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:57 am

Float adjustment or float needle hanging. I pm you.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:28 am

I ended up pulling my carbs three times, partly because I didn't want to separate the carbs from the plenum... My main issue was clogged ports for the accelerator pump...I couldn't get them cleared without separating the carbs (first attempt). Got that problem solved and had to pull the rack again because i neglected to set the float level. When you get everything clean and ready to go, set the rack on a 5 gallon bucket beside the bike and connect the fuel line & fill the carbs....check for leaks and work the linkage to make sure you're getting strong, equal squirts from the accelerator pump nozzles.

royal57
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade 83 Yahama midnight virago 750

Postby royal57 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:13 pm

one carb leaking gas.I cant find any info or videos on pulling one side off. Seems possible,but untell I do it,or I find someone who has done it. I'll jest ask first.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:57 pm

royal57 wrote:one carb leaking gas.I cant find any info or videos on pulling one side off. Seems possible,but untell I do it,or I find someone who has done it. I'll jest ask first.

Impossible without removing the whole rack and unbolting the carbs from inside the plenum.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 am

Tru dat. If you're careful, you can keep the carbs together after loosening from inside the plenum. Put the carb stays on to help and watch the little offset linkage connector for the chokes.

Easy check to see where it's leaking is to remove the cap and slide. Dry it off, turn petcock on and watch down the slide throat. From the jets? Leaky float. From the plenum side before it gets to the jets? Leaky carb-to-plenum seal- fat oring.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 am

..or bowl gasket ;)

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:38 am

or, if #3 carb, accelerator pump. O-ring will leak at float bowl.....torn diaphragm will squirt gas upward and leak out around the rubber boot around the rod

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Had several hydrolocks last summer in my carb swap experiments. One time it made a terrible crack sound when it stopped. I just tore it down for head gaskets and I'm now a believer and card-carrying member of the Hydrolocking Can Bend a Rod Club. The one piston was probably 0.080" less than the other three.

It still ran fairly smooth but I'm sure the days were numbered.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”