Engine running hot after head gasket change

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kdurfee
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Engine running hot after head gasket change

Postby kdurfee » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:42 am

I just changed the head gasket, lapped the valves, flushed the coolant, changed the oil (twice) and my bike is running and sounding great - except:

She's running about two bars hotter than she used to. Symptoms (in 70 degree F. weather):
Gauge runs at 60 percent hot (used to be 30-40) when level on the freeway.
Gauge goes to 70 -80 percent hot when I accelerate or climb a long hill.
Engine gets hot when just driving around town - 70-80 - not redline yet, but still hot!

I understand that this was likely a pre-existing problem that lead to my head gasket blowing, but it wasn't one that I noticed prior to the head gasket blowing. I was just driving along enjoying myself and not paying attention to the heat as it hadn't been a problem previously.

I changed the thermostat a year ago. My water pump is not leaking any antifreeze. I have coolant in my reservoir tank, and the engine and radiator doesn't seem to be pulling any in after a cool down. I'm thinking I will replace the thermostat first, and then do the water pump if the thermostat doesn't fix it. The radiator does get hot. The hoses going between the engine and the radiator are hot.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Engine running hot after head gasket change

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Did you re-torque the head bolts? You should after 10 miles or so. Regards, Johnny

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:59 am

Radiator/system flush??? Fill with white vinegar let sit over night and drain..look through the drained liquid..chucky?? Test themo before replacing easy test in a pot of boiling water.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

kdurfee
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby kdurfee » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I did re-tourque the bolts. Only the bottom center ones needed tightened. The reason she was getting hot: I didn't put the lower farings back on because I still needed to tune the carbs after adjusting the valves. They evidently direct a whole lot of air towards the radiator, enough to lower the heat on the 83 aspencade gauge by two bars in similar conditions. All is good. The wing is back to better than normal. I feel awful silly for not figuring this out sooner.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”