Changing out headlight to LED

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Changing out headlight to LED

Postby pschweitzer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:25 pm

I changed out my old, original headlight yesterday to an LED one I bought on e-bay. It has built in DRL LEDs that need to be wired separately. I noted when I removed the old headlamp assembly that there was an extra yellow wire with the H4 plug harness (it already has an insulated pin lug crimped on by factory it looks like). I have not checked voltage yet to see if it is powered, but does anyone know if that is available to use for the DRLs. It would be great if I didn't have to run another wire. (BTW...funny story about the headlight is the old redneck lady with lipstick not on straight gets out of her rust bucket car at a stop light to lecture me on my headlight being too yella).

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: Changing out headlight to LED

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I don't know about a yellow wire, but I do like the idea of a led head light-you wouldn't share a part number would you? because mine might be too yella also...
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:28 am

Sure. Here is the e-bay link. It's a bit thicker than the standard housing but the supplied trim had large tabs that I was easily able to bend over and make work without set screws (although I might add them later if I find the bezel loosening up). I will hook up the DRL LEDs next for added visibility and that was what the question was about for the extra wire in the headlight bay in the fairing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-MOTORCYCLE-BL ... 280986cfb7

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:43 am

You might want to have a read through GL1100 headlights from KC Hilites

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:07 am

WingAdmin wrote:You might want to have a read through GL1100 headlights from KC Hilites

Wow!! That's nice!

But, that's only $112.00 less than I paid for my bike-I need a way to explain that to my wife....in a way that she'll "understand" I mean...
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 am

f1xrupr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:You might want to have a read through GL1100 headlights from KC Hilites

Wow!! That's nice!

But, that's only $112.00 less than I paid for my bike-I need a way to explain that to my wife....in a way that she'll "understand" I mean...

It's for "safety." That's always the best one. :) And in this case, it happens to be true!

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:58 am

Wingadmin, I did read that post, because there were so many choices of 7" LEDs it was getting confusing. The KCs were the most expensive. This one was $119 and had the DRL's. The LED type plastic housings tend to be thicker than the original housing so the chrome bezel doesn't fit (almost but not quite). The one I purchased had mounting hardware that I was able to make work. I'll take a picture and post. Light output looks OK, but have not been in the dark yet (need new tires and have to wait until Saturday to get that done. The old ones were starting to dry rot and need to be replaced before I ride on the freeway).

Back to my original question...does anyone know what the extra wire in the headlight bay is for? (I'll take a picture of that as well since I want to see if it has voltage on it).

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 pm

pschweitzer wrote:Wingadmin, I did read that post, because there were so many choices of 7" LEDs it was getting confusing. The KCs were the most expensive. This one was $119 and had the DRL's. The LED type plastic housings tend to be thicker than the original housing so the chrome bezel doesn't fit (almost but not quite). The one I purchased had mounting hardware that I was able to make work. I'll take a picture and post. Light output looks OK, but have not been in the dark yet (need new tires and have to wait until Saturday to get that done. The old ones were starting to dry rot and need to be replaced before I ride on the freeway).

Back to my original question...does anyone know what the extra wire in the headlight bay is for? (I'll take a picture of that as well since I want to see if it has voltage on it).

LEDs are price-sensitive - you do generally get what you pay for, with more expensive LEDs being more reliable and putting out more light. Usually.

As for the yellow wire, the only place yellow wires are used on the 1100 are the stator feeds, and to the ignition coils. Is it possible it is something aftermarket added by a previous owner?

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Sorry this took so long. Work and weather stopped me from working on the bike. Anyway, here is the headlight installed and sorry it was a brown wire but it was live with the ignition on. Maybe PO hdd running lights at some time but it sure looked stock. Light seems bright enough and 100% better than old yella.

DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby DaveDanger » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:27 pm

pschweitzer wrote:Sure. Here is the e-bay link. It's a bit thicker than the standard housing but the supplied trim had large tabs that I was easily able to bend over and make work without set screws (although I might add them later if I find the bezel loosening up). I will hook up the DRL LEDs next for added visibility and that was what the question was about for the extra wire in the headlight bay in the fairing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-MOTORCYCLE-BL ... 280986cfb7

pschweitzer, I pulled up that eBay link and found the DRL LED headlight that you showed. For giggles, I entered my Bike info (83 GL1100A) and their application chart shows that it does NOT apply. I'm wondering if the bezel fit that you noted is possibly where they flag as not applicable? Did you see anything else that would make this particular headlight not work on your bike?

I'm wondering as well, what the DRL's do to improve the headlight overall? My thought is that Daytime Running Lights are a great thing to have if driving with the headlights turned off in the daytime (possible in some automobiles)... but on these bikes, I can't even remember the last time I saw a bike that could have the headlight completely off, at least with OEM switching. Not to argue, I agree that every lumen available is a plus.
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 pm

The original bezel was just slightly small, but the one that came with the LED had tabs that were perfect to fold down and lock the light to the bike mounting frame (and it was nice and new and shiny unlike my old one). The extra wire was attached to a 12VDC switched supply and I did hook up the DRLs. I don't know if it makes a difference or not and these are actually made for Jeep Wranglers and not bikes (although they say Harley). The light is definitely bright in the sun so happy with that and it is bright at night and the high beam throws a bright tunnel down the center of the road. So it did work on the bike with just some minor fiddling.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”