Replacing instrument lights.???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Replacing instrument lights.???

Postby velvetrider » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 am

Well, after replacing head gaskets, timing belts, rebuilding carbs, installing new brake lines, ;
I am finally down to this; How do you get to light bulbs behind tack & speedo.??
I got the 'book' version,,Its just my fat fingers are not double jointed to remove those 2 bolts
any of you guys got an easier way,,without removing windscreen,,??

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Replacing instrument lights.???

Postby spiralout » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:32 am

Man, it's been a long time since I did it but seems like it's just the speedo and tach cable nuts and two acorn nuts to remove each gauge. The acorn nuts are a pita, especially the inside ones. I think I got a set of ratcheting wrenches about the time I was removing my gauges and that 5 degree click on em helped immensely. Never did remove the windshield, just struggled to get those two nuts off.

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks Spiralout,, I'll give that a try,, check out my post in general discussions, 'My Baby Makes Me Cry',,,

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:57 pm

when i replaced the instrument bulbs on my 83 i too struggled with it for and hour or so......... then i removed the windshield (10 minutes)............ and was able to easily finish up the bulb replacement. wish i would have started with removing the windshield. my 2 cents.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 pm

You can at least turn the forks in the direction you need to remove the gauges. those two acorn nuts and lock washers are a pita. Be sure you loosen both acorn nuts equally till you can remove them by just spinning the socket by hand. those gauges are rubber mounted and have tension on them and the lock washer will pop off and go into Infinity as you remove the acorn nut if both nuts are not loosened first. I used a small pocket type pencil magnet with a small magnet tip to hold the lock washer in place when reinstalling and for removal. when you reinstall start the first nut about 3 rounds and then the other nut tighten equally. Check each new bulb to see if it lights up before you put it back up in the gauge. Watch out for wiring looms and cables to be in your way. And the harness as always,to short to give you a lot of room. The rubber round type plug that holds the bulb in the gauge also require patience to remove and replace. This is really a fun job.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:44 pm

OMG,, you are a subdued dud, This is a ROYAL pita,, I replaced 5 bulbs,,but have yet to get it
back to gather. Glad I did it but it really it a 'project'. Thanks everyone for your input. !

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Such kind words....you only have 7 ( maybe a miscount) more bulbs to go and you can sit back and say "I did that" Now take your frustrations out on that windshield and remove it and a whole new world open up for you. When you get done you can now work on watches. Just keep smiling...

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”