Question,,,,????

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Question,,,,????

Postby velvetrider » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:46 pm

I just replaced both head gaskets, rebuilt carbs, ground new valve seats ect. Got it to fire right up,
kindof, But I suspect a small problem,,, Does a slow drip of water from the exhaust bolts indicate something,,?????,,,Initially it was from the left side, the water transfer tubes seem to be OK, new O rings. seem to be good,, Second start I had water from the other, right side, below the head,,at the exhaust bolts. I am not sure but I think I may have a problem,,,??? Insights,,??? :?:
There was a little water on top of the engine. Is there a magic trick to seating those transfer
tubes ?

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Question,,,,????

Postby spiralout » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:42 am

velvetrider wrote:There was a little water on top of the engine. Is there a magic trick to seating those transfer
tubes ?

Yep, there is. Have a couple extra o-rings on hand cause they're easy to f-up. Make sure the end of the pipes and the inside of the elbows and thermo housing are cleaned of any corrosion. Put the o-ring on the pipe first, lube it with your choice of slipperiness and push it straight in the elbow/thermostat housing, no twisting.

velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Question,,,,????

Postby velvetrider » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:10 am

Spiralout, humm thanks. I think I might have a few O rings, but dont throw urs away,,lol,, we dont throw away perfectly good parts do we,,?? Thanks again,, . Maybe I can go back to sleep now..lol.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”