Odd Speedometer Issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Odd Speedometer Issue

Postby Jeeper » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:57 am

'83 Aspencade with the LCD instrument panel. I start riding the bike and everything works great. After about 15-20 minutes of riding the speedometer stops registering. It actually counts down from the speed I'm doing to 0 and then will stay on 0. Occasionally it will climb up to 8 or 10mph then go right back down to 0. If I park the bike for a while, it will work normally again for another 15-20 minutes.

When the speedometer stops registering MPH it appears the auto-cancel on the turn signals stop working too.

My suspicion is a power lead that feeds the speed sensor and the auto-cancel feature has a bad fuse that is loosing connection after it heats up. I am going to dig out the service manual and chase the wires down but I was hoping one of the gurus on here might know where this wire is fed from. All the other instruments work all the time, and the speedometer doesn't go out, it just stops registering the speed. I'm assuming there is a power feed to the speed sensor on the wheel.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Odd Speedometer Issue

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 am

Looking at the circuit diagram, there is a cable containing three wires that runs from the dash to the wheel speed sensor. There is no fuse, but there is a connector.

I doubt it's the speed sensor itself, as it isn't really going to get hot (assuming that's the factor that causes it to quit). So you're left with:

- wire break/short
- connector corrosion/failure
- something else inside the dash itself

I'd go look at the connector itself first.

You could also get some "freeze" spray at an electronics store - it's stuff used to identify heat-related failures. You spray it on things and it cools them down instantly. You start spraying it on different components, and when you hit the one that is causing the problem, the problem will go away.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”