front brake light switch/front forks

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
marve319
Motorcycle: 1983 GL110 Interstate

front brake light switch/front forks

Postby marve319 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Okay here is my problem. I have put on three (3) new front brake light switches and now the third one is not working. I checked and redid the wiring and taped it up to keep water out and put back on the switch. I get nothing on the rear brake light. Any sugguestions????

The other thing is I feel the front end is hitting to hard. I rebuilt the front forks over 2 years ago and put in progressive springs. There were two small springs also in there and I left them out. I haven't noticed any problems until I put new tires on. Same brand and same size as what I already had on there. I adjusted the thingys on the side of the wheel to #2. Should I drain the fluid and replace it with new fluid??? Is there an easy way to do that.???

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: front brake light switch/front forks

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 am

Does the rear light work with the rear brake pedal?? if not bad bulb if it does..wiring issue further down the line toward the rear light..trace looking for break,bad connector etc.

Front forks oil..you could take the shrader valves out, open the drain and pump the forks that should get ,ost of the old oil out then with a big syringe and a tube that fits the drain push the correct amount of oil back up into the forks then reinstall the shrader valve, then pull the tube and reinstall the drain bolt. The only other way is to remove the cap and deal with the springs.

The OEm springs were two parts one long, one short..progressives are one long spring.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:50 am

marve319 wrote:Okay here is my problem. I have put on three (3) new front brake light switches and now the third one is not working. I checked and redid the wiring and taped it up to keep water out and put back on the switch. I get nothing on the rear brake light. Any sugguestions????

I've also replaced mine a couple of times,but with used ones I had.One problem I had was with the wire terminals where they connect at the switch not making good contact(too loose).Had to crimp the terminals on the wires a little to make a tight connection.Were your switches brand new?

marve319

Postby marve319 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks for the information. I took a wire and crossed the terminals on the front brake switch and the tail lights came on. I played with the switch (which is only 3 months old) and it would flicker. I will just order a new one and see what happens.

Thanks for the info on the forks. What and where are the shrader valves?

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm

The thingys on the side are anti-dive settings. Is that where you took out the little springs? I would also go to 20 wt fork oil. 8.5 oz of refill
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

marve319

Postby marve319 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:46 pm

No the extra springs came out of the top. I now have a set of progressive springs. Do the anti-drive have anything to do with the front suspension?? I still don't know what a Shrader valve is. Where is it located? You can shoot oil back in from the bottom?? Going with the top of the springs is very hard to do.

With the front brake switch. I know the light works when the terminals were crossed. But when they are hooked to the switch it wont work. I don't see anything wrong with the switch. One of the terminals has a little play in it, moving it a little back and forth. This seems to be a problem on the 83 interstate. I am going to order another switch, I thought I saved the old one, but can't find it. I will let you know how it works out.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:48 am

marve319 wrote:No the extra springs came out of the top. I now have a set of progressive springs. Do the anti-drive have anything to do with the front suspension?? I still don't know what a Shrader valve is. Where is it located? You can shoot oil back in from the bottom?? Going with the top of the springs is very hard to do.

With the front brake switch. I know the light works when the terminals were crossed. But when they are hooked to the switch it wont work. I don't see anything wrong with the switch. One of the terminals has a little play in it, moving it a little back and forth. This seems to be a problem on the 83 interstate. I am going to order another switch, I thought I saved the old one, but can't find it. I will let you know how it works out.

A schrader valve is a valve like you find on the wheel for filling the tire with air, only in this case it's used to put air in the forks. It can be unscrewed with a socket wrench:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”