Two things both suck!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Two things both suck!

Postby robertdawber » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:54 pm

First-
What is the front inner fender for?
Second-in trying to fix the above rubbing on my tire I found one of the axle/fork clamp bolts spinning free-clearly stripped in place and not going anywhere....
trying to adjust the tire (I thought the fend might be rubbing because the tire was out of wack) a bolt on the other side broke at the nut.
Can I weld that clamp for now? Can it be retapped? Enough of the stud is in the lower clamp that te tire is not moving. I just drove it 5 miles and there was not issue.

As for the fender-it is not currently bolted to the outer fender-would that be the issue?
Bob

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Re: Two things both suck!

Postby goldtr6c » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:36 pm

By "clamp" are you refering to the axle cap that is bolted to the bottom of the lower leg? If so you can try a new stud to see if the are any threads left. If so a couple new studs with nuts& washers along with some Locktite may save the day.
By inner fender I can only assume the metal reinforcement plate found on all Gl1100s. It needs that plate. Without it the fender bolts will eat through the plastic and the fender will want to spinn with the tire. Instant roadrash! I've seen this with a few of the after market custom fenders mounted on the Gl1000s. Mine was one of them.

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Two things both suck!

Postby robertdawber » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Well I took the wheel off and got the stud out. What a panic that was-I just got it all (the whole bike) back together yesterday.
Before you responded I thought of the stud-you were right on the money.
You are thinking Locktight?
Also, the item in the fender is right on....in other words you are correct.

The reason I was working on the tire in the first place is that piece was rubbing on the tire and I felt it (the tire) might be out of whack.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”