cracked lower head at (10) mm,,bolt. fu@#!*

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

cracked lower head at (10) mm,,bolt. fu@#!*

Postby velvetrider » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:48 pm

OK I did this a while back,,(inch lbs vs ft. lbs.) dummy,,Well anyways,,I stopped it from leaking,
much, for 5 years,, . With new H gaskets, I used the same liquid steel it is not working.. This is not going to work unless after it cools down I try again. Anybody got a suggestion. ?? the thought of removing head is not a good one. I live in Mooresville, NC (Race City) USA. There are quite a few good metal working type guys around. Think it could be welded,,?? On Bike??..

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: cracked lower head at (10) mm,,bolt. fu@#!*

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Can it be done?....maybe!......would I let someone chance it on my bike and possibly ruin my block?...I'm thinking...no!
Very few welders can do what they think they can....I don't mean that disrespectful, it just seems that way.
You might talk to a machine shop about that. They use apoxies for metal filler on some applications (aluminum intake flanges-I know that sounds strange, but some do). They probably know the best one out there, and how to use it.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: cracked lower head at (10) mm,,bolt. fu@#!*

Postby indianakid » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:34 am

in your position i would obtain a good head. ebay has several in the under $100 range.

any attempt to do a weld repair would require the head to be removed. and after welding the weld bead on the gasket surface will have to be machined true to the rest of the head. the repair alone would be in the same price range.

with a replacement head you will save time as the head could removed and replaced in a few hours.

best of luck.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”