Choke cable routing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Ryan&Ally
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100

Choke cable routing

Postby Ryan&Ally » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:20 pm

I am rebuilding my bike from literally the ground up. Every nut and bolt and wire, you name it was taken apart and either replaced, powder coated, painted , rebuilt or just completely altered. I started this project about 3 years ago and brought my 1980 GL 1100 to a friends house to disassemble it because I had recently sold my house for my daughter Ally to start university and was in a rental for a year till I bought my smaller place now. I was injured while moving and spent the next few months stuck at home with a nurse coming every day to hang a new IV bag so my friend thought he would do me a favor and take the bike apart for me! Which sadly meant that I saw nothing come apart and nothing was labelled or anything really sorted. It was in boxes and bags and jars, kinda but that's what I got. So after as many books, articles, websites and just asking stupid questions I am now at the point (all by myself), where I am about to start wiring(never done before), and running the cables. I have a really nice bike and I am really looking forward to showing you all when it is done but I am stuck on today's issue-the choke cable. I have it hooked up properly to the engine but I have no idea how to run it up to the holder at the handlebar mount. I do not have any of the cooling system on now(I did that one already-that was a time consuming mistake and I was really proud of myself too), oh well! So which way does the cable wind its way through to the mounting plate? By the way, hello and glad to meet everyone I will be driving crazy all winter and anyone who is also fron NGW.

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Re: Choke cable routing

Postby chrisz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm

If you have a shop manual it will show the correct routing of all the cables. If you search here/or the web, you most likely also find drawings.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Choke cable routing

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:25 pm

up between the air box and frame, out through the triple tree and back in inside the ear and up to the mounting point.

There is a diagram someplace but I didn't copy it...I don't think it's in the manual but in the setup manual dealers get.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”