electronic tachometer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Ryan&Ally
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100

electronic tachometer

Postby Ryan&Ally » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I got rid of my old, cracked Honda fairing and bought a brand new police issue batwing fairing. I have made mounts that are very strong, work well and are safe. I have a stereo and speakers, a new cable driven speedo(small size), installed in the inner fairing along with the newer fairing mounted mirrors to clean up my bars. The last thing is the tach. I have purchased an electronic tachometer that matches the speedo without realizing that it was electric only(I bought it online), so I am trying to find out if there is any way to hook this tach up so it works properly(I am willing to do about anything at this point to be able to), or do I need to find a cable driven tach? I had to remove the huge 80's info head to have the fairing fit the way I want. I don't need a light to tell me if my brights are on or what gear I am in, etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated but I do want to be on the road when the snow melts and after reading a rebuild article on the site the other day I already added about two weeks to my workload. You guys have a lot of great ideas and are giving me more of my own which can get timely and expensive!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: electronic tachometer

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Well there's 2 types of electronic tac's..
One moves it's needle or display by a variable voltage sent from a ignition/control module.
The second one would have power/ground and a "sense" wire,or pulse wire...usually tied to the primary winding of the ignition coil...I would need more spec requirements of the tac to determine how/if it can be adapted to the wing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Also, keep in mind that most motorcycles fire their spark plugs once per cylinder cycle. Because the Goldwing uses a wasted spark system (to reduce by half the number of coils and igniters required - each coil services two plugs), each plug fires twice per cycle - once to ignite the fuel/air mixture, and once "wasted" when the cylinder is empty and the exhaust valve is open.

Because of this, many aftermarket electronic tachs that get hooked into the Goldwing ignition show double the expected engine RPM - the engine could be at 1,000 RPM and the tach will show 2,000 RPM.

Because the redline of the Goldwing is relatively low compared to other bikes, some owners just take the faceplate out of the tach, repaint the numbers on it to match, and call it good.

Ryan&Ally

Postby Ryan&Ally » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:09 pm

I had read something recently about the sense (power/ground) style you mentioned. I think that maybe what I have but I will go into the garage sometime throughout the night and check for sure. It's amazing how much I get done now that my daughter is in 2nd yr university, works 60-70 hrs a week and has a 2 yr boyfriend! I raised her on my own so all my attention went to her school and life. At first I was so bored and time passeed so slowly that I thought I was losing it, now I can go do whatever, whenever and it's pretty good! I got divorced 11 yrs ago and that left me with trust issues so I focused on my daughter and now she is doing fantastic and I am finally doing guy things I've been wanting to do for years! So when they find my body in the garage from sudden whatever somebody please finish my bike and ride out east to Cape Breton! LOL I will get back to you to let you know and then perhaps you could give me my best solution. I also understood that there may be wrong readings on the tach because of the off timing as well. thanks!

Ryan&Ally

Postby Ryan&Ally » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:04 am

I have a question, or I guess it is more of a recommendation. I was looking around at different tachometers and I found one I likes that would add another part to the original dash I removed and that is the oil pressure sensor. So I found one that has what I believe would be the best of both and I would very much appreciate your opinions yeah or nay! If you go onto the J & P website ( I know), look for the part name: KOSO TACHOMETER W/OIL PRESSURE GAUGE and it is part # 730-0029. This is the size I need to put into dash of fairing and also I have a gold club membership and a lot of points built up so.... Looking forward to your thoughts. thanks, Ryan.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”