Introduction and questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
TKtech
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Introduction and questions

Postby TKtech » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Hello and thank you for this wonderful resource! Fair warning to you all, consider me a beginner in every sense of the word.
First, let me introduce myself:
My name is Tyler. I am an electronics technician in education, an electronics and appliance repair technician by trade, and I tinker and dabble in just about everything else. I am mechanically inclined and have a good intuition when it comes to most things, but I am definitely lacking when it comes to automotive/internal combustion engines, so don't be afraid to digress into basics or theory. I have experience with what most around here would consider basic maintenance of my car, and a few off road vehicles such as a dirtbike and trike. Recently, I acquired an '83 GL1100 Interstate with ~60k miles on it. It was dirt cheap, I like the look of them when they are stripped down, and isn't in too poor of condition. I wanted a winter project, and this seemed like a good one.
Second, a more detailed summary of the bike:
'83 GL1100 Interstate, ~60k miles with unknown history. Clean title, has only fallen over. Minor cosmetic issues from that. Original tires from the look of it. Has been covered all its life but not garaged, she is showing her age. Original owner made a few electrical modifications to the lights (kill switch).
Third, the questions:
So, I'm wondering what all I should look at first. The fuel is at least a year old but has had additives (Sta-Bil and Seafoam). The tank I'm sure could use a cleaning, but its in usable condition. I have replaced the battery, and done some basic tests on all the switches... so far so good. Pulled the spark plugs, right bank looks good, left bank had some oil fouling which from what I gather is expected considering its been on the kickstand almost exclusively. Squirted some lube in the cylinders and let it sit for a while, just to help for when I first turn it over.
At this point I wanted to check the starter, coils and points, so I turned it over checking each spark plug wire to the chassis (I had clean rags stuffed into the plug holes as to not suck in any debris). All four good. Checked the spark plugs, also good. Cleaned and reinserted with some anti-seize compound. Here's where I really got ahead of myself. I probably should drain the old fuel out, but the fuel lines feel hard and brittle so I fear even looking at them wrong. It smelled good, it looked good, it tasted good (I assume)... this whole time I didn't see anything out of place... so why not see if she'll start?
Choked, and fuel on... chug chug chug. Chug chug chug chug. After a few of these I sigh, but figure 'what the hell' and lay on the starter a bit longer. I finally hear it starting to fire! Not on all four, maybe not even two... but signs of life. I progress, noticing some air traveling through the fuel pump. The right side at this point is keeping it idling for a few second, but the left side is still stone cold. Lay on the ignition some more, play with the throttle... and keep it idling longer each time and finally after a cloud of smoke... I have all four! ...sometimes... continuing on, I now have all four most of the time but it misses occasionally. I figure it could be the carb, could be the fuel... I have the air filter off at the moment (its cold and clean air around here right now) so its not an air issue.
After all this I heard some unsettling rattling on the right hand side, so I hop off and look around and... ****. Turned it off. "What the hell is this?" After consulting the Clymer book that I found in the trunk, It looks to be where the alternator is.
Now let me try to describe this. On this cover whole cover on the rear of the engine, center of the section that contains the alternator, there is a plug/nut/cover. Behind this lies a bolt, of which I assume is for the rotor. The head of this cover has broken off, and the threads have disintegrated. It had been pushed out along with this bolt, of which was freely bouncing around. I was able to thread the bolt back in finger tight into whatever it mates with... but REEEALLY don't want to have to pull the motor this early on into my adventure. I don't have the jacks, stands, chucks, winches, gravity pump levitation device required to pull this thing apart yet. Hell, I don't even have a cement surface, just a gravel bedded car port.
Is this something I can safely tighten up and continue with lighter work first? Is there something else I should be checking also (besides the charging system lol)?
Thank you for your time.

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Re: Introduction and questions

Postby squirrel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:47 am

Firstly welcome from the other side of the pond .like you I knew little about my gl 1100 when I first started but with all the help and advice from this site I've done most of the work on it . As far as your issues are concerned unfortunately I can't be much help but I know someone will be along with the answers very soon .but I would strongly recommend renewing the cambelts if not already done. Regards tom.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:04 am

Welcome to the forum. That is all from me as I have a GL1800 and know very little about the GL1500.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:24 pm

This is what you're looking at without the cover on:

(stator is not shown in this picture as it is attached to the rear cover)

You're not the first person to have experienced this. Usually it is caused by someone using this rotor bolt to crank the engine backwards, and inadvertently loosening the bolt in the process.

The engine will back the bolt off and push out the cap, stripping the threads out of the engine back cover in the process.

This bolt has to be torqued to 62 ft-lb, and it's very tough to do with the engine cover on, because when torquing this bolt you have to prevent the engine from turning. Normally this is done by pushing a drift or screwdriver through a hole in the rotor to prevent it from turning. Removing the engine cover requires pulling the engine.

You likely will have to replace the engine cover anyway, as it would be pretty tough to repair those stripped threads, and finding a larger cap (if you were to tap new, larger threads) is going to be next to impossible.

And before you try again to start it (or even crank it over), replace the timing belts!!

TKtech
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby TKtech » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks WingAdmin! That image is an excellent reference. It's origin is from one of the How-Tos, I take it... mind if I ask which one?
I know, I shouldn't have even tried turning it over without inspecting the belts first :oops: but... like I said, I got a bit ahead of myself. I just had to hear it.

I'm glad to get confirmation that not only is that just a cap, but that it's not an issue unique to me. Nothing I read mentioned even removing it, as all work ever performed in or around that area is done with the cover off. It seems odd that an access even exists... puzzling.
Now, I ask where the image comes from as I would very much like to see the inside of that cover and how the stator mounts. Purchasing (and installing) a new cover is something I do not plan on doing... ever, if I can get away with it. The way I figure, I have plenty of options of fabricating a cover... one does not even need to be threaded back into those threads. If the material is thick enough, or there is plenty of clearance on the interior, I could just whip up a functional, yet attractive, plate and seal. I prefer creative and ... frugal ... solutions.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:33 am

The stator is held in with three screws tapped into the back cover:

With cap installed:

With cap removed:

The cap exists there to gain access to that rotor bolt for use in turning the engine over. If you had no intention of using it again, I suppose you could just permanently seal it over with something. Alternatively, come up with a different method of sealing the hole with a removable cap of some kind. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”