Stiff lever - rubber cap pulled into fluid

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kaden
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 standard

Stiff lever - rubber cap pulled into fluid

Postby kaden » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi I've get a question about my front master cylinder on my 81 GL1100. Alright so here it goes. Several months ago i got a replacement reservoir from Partsnmore ,which was amazing, as well as a front master rebuild kit. I rebuilt the master and bled fully and had no problems. I recently went for a VA state inspection they failed it because of the lever pull being too stiff and suggested I look into the lever pin. The tech said it may be causing some binding on the lever. So i removed the lock nut and the pin and sanded it smooth and re greased it and reinstalled it. All was fine until recently it started getting stiff again. So today i tinker with it and remove the reservoir cap and find that the rubber seal in the cap had been pulled down into the brake fluid. Is this normal? I reset the rubber seal and reinstalled the cap and the lever felt wonderful again, better than it has before. Am I just going to have to remove the cap every now and then and reset that seal? Does the piston apply a vacuum to the reservoir that would pull that rubber seal into the fluid and how would that cause the lever to get stiff and hard to pull?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stiff lever - rubber cap pulled into fluid

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:13 pm

That rubber seal is supposed to get pulled into the fluid. The idea is that instead of sucking (moisture-laden) air in and out of the reservoir as it expands and contracts (heats and cools), the air stays above the rubber seal, and the bottom of the seal is against the fluid.

If the lever freed up once you smoothed and lubricated the pivot pin, I suspect that's your issue.

kaden
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 standard

Re: Stiff lever - rubber cap pulled into fluid

Postby kaden » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:07 pm

It was a couple weeks between smoothing the pivot pin and removing the reservoir cap. Smoothing the pivot pin helped in the short term but as i kept using the brake it got stiffer. It would be easy to pull at the beginning of a ride and stiff by the end of it. By the next morning heading into work it would be easier to pull again The brake is working fine now but I'm wondering if every few months I'm going to have to tinker with it again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”