The Wing from HELL.... Water pump!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Doc H
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

The Wing from HELL.... Water pump!!!

Postby Doc H » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:04 am

I had a bad water pump seal.... OK I was under the bike way longer then desired... but it is my baby so it was well worth it... I bought a new seal kit and a new pump.... OEM by the way... Installed all was good.... until I put just over 100 mile on the bike... here it comes... worse leak... pours out the weep hole... REALLY.... I lost all professionalism I ever new... creative words came out... I went back to the pics and instructions from this site... and my manual... cannot find what happened... I called for warranty on the pump.... no warranty because they say their replacements are tested so well this should not be the problem. If you install yourself then let Honda do it... you void the warranty. I read about the crush washers but they were new and felt them crush during the torquing. NO IDEA at this point. The gasket set is for the GL1100 and GL1200 Of course I had two extra parts... which unnerved me. But I followed the instructions... plus replaced each seal and kept a good count. No place I could find to "add" them... so maybe these are for the GL1200. Clean up of the parts were "surgical" clean. Checked for flat and true. I really do not want to buy a new pump if it would be a crush washer problem... no way to test the pump I can find. Has anyone else gone through this??? any suggestions... no the bike does not go... Yes it is an 1983 but I like its old school look... My 2001 is nice... so are new cars... I live for the old... Cars and bikes alike. By the way I turned wrenches for years... a lot of restoration. Not new to wrenching... not a living... but my over obsessed hobby!!! Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: The Wing from HELL.... Water pump!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 am

I did this myself once. It is really, really easy to roll the rubber O-rings when inserting the pump into its housing in the front cover. If this happens, coolant will flow right past the O-ring and out the weep hole. I tried lubricating them with vaseline, but in the end I found that the best O-ring lubricant for installation was K-Y Jelly - it's really, really slippery, and it's water-based, so it won't harm the O-ring.

Unfortunately, it means taking everything back apart to re-install it.

Doc H

Postby Doc H » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:23 am

THX... you answered a something I had in the back of my mind. I did not want to tear down again putting a seal kit in... to find a water pump problem. But playing the odds seem reasonable... THX for the tip I will try this... well one day it is warm this winter!!! The shop rehab was not completed so back to NO heat again!!! I do not mind do a bit of work to one of the MG's since I was too cheap to put in a table lift... plus the MG's will not go over them... they sit too low!!! But may bike will be worth three days of back pain!!!

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:10 am

I had the same problem you did and found that the cavity that the water pump resides had a little rough surface that would tend to "pull" or roll the O rings out of their groves, even when I lubricated them with plumber's silicone grease. After getting new crush washers I took a Scotchbrite pad and "polished" the cavity, making it smoother. Then I took new O rings and installed them and lubricated the cavity. The pump slid in perfectly and I had no more leaks. Moral of my story: Don't lube the O rings but lube the smoothed pump cavity and ride leak free.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:17 am

flash1942 wrote:I had the same problem you did and found that the cavity that the water pump resides had a little rough surface that would tend to "pull" or roll the O rings out of their groves, even when I lubricated them with plumber's silicone grease. After getting new crush washers I took a Scotchbrite pad and "polished" the cavity, making it smoother. Then I took new O rings and installed them and lubricated the cavity. The pump slid in perfectly and I had no more leaks. Moral of my story: Don't lube the O rings but lube the smoothed pump cavity and ride leak free.

I did both the cavity and the O-ring. I slopped that lube in pretty much everywhere. I did NOT want to have to take it apart a third time! :)

Doc H

Postby Doc H » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:21 am

Flash: Thanks so much... it seems like I am on the edge of all learning curves!!! I love this sight... why went I create my own disaster someone knows the fix!!! Glad I am better at healthcare and MG's... I would NEVER make it as a bike mechanic!!! I have a whole new prospective of their value!!! But I like turning wrenches... never forgot where I came from!!!! Nor will I change that!!! Thx again...

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:38 am

Third time is a charm !!! Well I learned the O ring lube lesson from my job. After rebuilding rebuilt water, air and steam solenoid valves and lubing all parts concerned and finding that the O rings rolled out of their groves upon reassembly! I didn't find that out until I had a callback. Murphy's law is alive and well. Glad you didn't have a 3rd visit.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:32 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I did this myself once. It is really, really easy to roll the rubber O-rings when inserting the pump into its housing in the front cover. If this happens, coolant will flow right past the O-ring and out the weep hole. I tried lubricating them with vaseline, but in the end I found that the best O-ring lubricant for installation was K-Y Jelly - it's really, really slippery, and it's water-based, so it won't harm the O-ring.

Unfortunately, it means taking everything back apart to re-install it.

I did the pump on a 84 standard, 1200 used vasaline, no problems, did the same on an 86 aspy,and pulled it down twice because of rolled oring thanks for the heads up about k y jelly

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”