Broken valve cover bolt

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Broken valve cover bolt

Postby pschweitzer » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:57 pm

Well there goes a really beautiful day to ride here in Houston. My buddy let me use his garage to replace an o-ring in my lower hose connection to the water pump and also change my oil. We were going to go for a ride to lunch. Got all that done in an hour and the last job was to replace the left side valve cover gasket which was seeping a bit while riding. I took the cover bolts off and looked down at the back one and realized it had broken off inside the block. Never felt it snap. Good news is that the bolts and seals are still available, but would like suggestions on the best way to back out the broken piece. It is about 1/16" below the surface so I can't get pliers on it. I am thinking easy-out but anyone have better suggestions (including which extractors work best). It is a small bolt, but maybe big enough to drill for an easy-out.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Broken valve cover bolt

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:28 am

try left hand drill 1st, then easy out but if the easy out breaks you are toast
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:39 pm

I've had good luck with one of the Irwin extractor sets, which includes the Cobalt drill bits.
Make sure you drill the broken bolt as close as possible to it's centre

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I got a #1 extractor from Sears Hardware, but I'm with you Robert, if it breaks I guess I get to change the head gasket on that side as I'll have to remove and get to a machine shop. I'll either go to Harbor Freight or Auto Zone as get a set of left hand bits. Even if the bit just drills it will be in the right direction instead of tightening.

Am I right that these bolts tighten against the seal on the cover and the collar on the bottom? If that's the case then after it broke off there should not be any tension on the bolt and it should back right out. I wish it was just a bigger bolt. It will be very careful centering the bit even with a punch and very slow starting.

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Reverse bit was the way to go. Loosened and drew the broken part up flush with the head and then I used an easy out to remove the rest of the way.

T-Rat
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100a & 2000 Sportster 1200

Postby T-Rat » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:20 am

pschweitzer wrote:Reverse bit was the way to go. Loosened and drew the broken part up flush with the head and then I used an easy out to remove the rest of the way.

I got the same problem.....where did you get the left handed bit?....I can't seem to find one in my area!

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:51 am

Curious question,
How did the valve cover bolt break?
From overtightening?
The torque spec is only around 9 ft. lbs.
My guess is from overtorquing bolts to seal an old hardened gasket.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:15 am

T-Rat...I got a set of easy-outs with reverse bits from my local O'Reilly auto parts store. I think it was $21 for the whole set. They had individual bits but the set wasn't all that expensive and something I didn't have in my toolbox. Harbor Freight has them as well and I think Sears Hardware has them. Definitely a lot of places online. Make sure you are on the center of the bolt and start small and work your way up in size as needed and go slow at first.

Maintainer...If it was over torque at some point it wasn't by me. I have had these covers off at least 5 times over the last year for valve adjustments or the top end job I did last winter. Always torqued the bolts to spec. I had this happen with my fuel pump as well. It snapped before I even had any real pressure on the wrench. This valve cover bolt did not feel any different then the other three on that side when I broke them loose, so it was a surprise when I found it snapped. I actually only noticed it when I was putting the cover back on and couldn't engage that one. I am wondering if age, heat, vibration, an unseen factory flaw or any combination of the above was the culprit to the failure of a 30+ year old bolt. Either way it's fixed and I am happy about that.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:23 am

I see, that is worrysome.
Must be a very poor grade of bolts to fail under such a small torque load.
It caught my attention because I just had my valve covers off for a clearance check.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

T-Rat
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100a & 2000 Sportster 1200

Postby T-Rat » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:48 am

pschweitzer wrote:T-Rat...I got a set of easy-outs with reverse bits from my local O'Reilly auto parts store. I think it was $21 for the whole set. They had individual bits but the set wasn't all that expensive and something I didn't have in my toolbox. Harbor Freight has them as well and I think Sears Hardware has them. Definitely a lot of places online. Make sure you are on the center of the bolt and start small and work your way up in size as needed and go slow at first.

Maintainer...If it was over torque at some point it wasn't by me. I have had these covers off at least 5 times over the last year for valve adjustments or the top end job I did last winter. Always torqued the bolts to spec. I had this happen with my fuel pump as well. It snapped before I even had any real pressure on the wrench. This valve cover bolt did not feel any different then the other three on that side when I broke them loose, so it was a surprise when I found it snapped. I actually only noticed it when I was putting the cover back on and couldn't engage that one. I am wondering if age, heat, vibration, an unseen factory flaw or any combination of the above was the culprit to the failure of a 30+ year old bolt. Either way it's fixed and I am happy about that.
Thanks I'll check with O'reilly. Got a friend that works there. Mine broke as I was installing it. Didn't seem like I was tightening it any more than I have always done it just snapped..........assumed it to be a combination of age and many heat cycles!

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:00 pm

My 1100 broke one bolt while riding and my friend behind me got sprayed all over with oil.

I got my reverse drill bit at napa.

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:26 am

What type of torque wrench have you been using? I use a inch pound wrench when torquing values that low on the foot pound scale.Some ft. pound wrenches aren't very accurate at settings that low.BTW 9 foot pounds=108 inch pounds.

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:53 am

Beam type on anything less than 15 lbs. I never can trust the click type on the low torques.

Rambo3536
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing 1100

Postby Rambo3536 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Had same thing happen, spent alot of time and money, ect. Finally took the head to a machine shop and for 20.00 had it the next day.

DCoxson1969
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby DCoxson1969 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:52 pm

If anyone has this problem in the future, be very careful if you try an easy out. I was laying on my side, not wearing my glasses and the drilled for the easy out. Well it got into the threads and snapped. I thought I would have to replace the head but a friend of mine drilled it out and installed a helicoil. Worked great. But it was a learning experience. WEAR YOUR GLASSES DUMMY! lol

FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”