Brakes are rock hard, then work ok

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
diverobin
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Brakes are rock hard, then work ok

Postby diverobin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Any answer to this one?
I have a very nice 1981 interstate with 26000 on the clock.. The front brake, when I first pull the lever, is always very hard, almost no movement and no braking power. After one or two hard tugs, the lever gives and I get good braking effort. This means I never have good immediate braking...not a good situation.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

If you reach the age of fifty years and you have not yet grown up, you don't have to. :lol:

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Brakes are rock hard, then work ok

Postby wingman12 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Good afternoon, not knowing much about your 81, I would suggest that you inspect your brake calipers and pistons, flush out the old brake fluid and put in new. then check your operation of the brakes, it is possible that you would need to rebuild the calipers. I would do both front and rear at the same time if you are rebuilding. Please keep us advised of what you find and your solution. :D :D

diverobin

Postby diverobin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Ok, thanks. I will try when I can, and let you know.
If you reach the age of fifty years and you have not yet grown up, you don't have to. :lol:

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 am

Sounds like your pistons may be hanging up in the calipers(not fully releasing)every time you pull in the lever and release.Probably time for a rebuild or at the least good cleaning of the entire system.

WingNutJC
Motorcycle: GL1100 Aspencade
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Postby WingNutJC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Yo de Man!

Just what has been happening to me. Very un-nerving at times.

After much careful lever pulling (I did say 'lever' didn't I, :)) I think it's a situation of master cylinder o-ring(s) binding in the bore as the brake lever is first moved. With careful, slow movement I can feel 'something binding and the letting go' at the lever, before the brakes take up, so I don't think the caliper pistons are involved.

I''ve ordered a re-furb kit from Parts'n'More. In the meantime I'm riding with minimal front brake use. }}}:-0

Will post results.

HTH.

WingNut

diverobin

Postby diverobin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Guys
Re Wing nut's idea....being not at home and a mechanical dunce anyway, I have just been to a shop where they fixed the problem. It was indeed the master cylinder which needed re building, with a seal and ring kit. I now have proper front brakes...what a difference, especially in confidence. No more need to plan my braking three blocks ahead!

Must give a shout to the shop...Competition Cycle of Old Griffin Road, Dania Beach, FL 33004. They identified and fixed the trouble in about one hour. I was happy to pay the $119 it cost for such good service, and peace of mind, so if anyone needs help out this way, I recommend them. :D

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:17 pm

congratulations Diver on your resolution of your braking issue. Ride often and ride safe. :D :D

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Postby WingNutJC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:47 pm

diverobin wrote:Hi Guys
Re Wing nut's idea....being not at home and a mechanical dunce anyway, I have just been to a shop where they fixed the problem. It was indeed the master cylinder which needed re building, with a seal and ring kit. I now have proper front brakes...what a difference, especially in confidence. No more need to plan my braking three blocks ahead!

Must give a shout to the shop...Competition Cycle of Old Griffin Road, Dania Beach, FL 33004. They identified and fixed the trouble in about one hour. I was happy to pay the $119 it cost for such good service, and peace of mind, so if anyone needs help out this way, I recommend them. :D

Always at your service, 'diverobin'. My account will arrive in due course. :-] LOL

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Postby WingNutJC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:52 pm

WingNutJC wrote:

Always at your service, 'diverobin'. My account will arrive in due course. :-] LOL

This is Oz style humour. Hope it translates into the US. :-)

WingNut

diverobin

Postby diverobin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Since I am British, I get it mate! Anyway, good call :lol:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”