Inserting Drive Shaft

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Inserting Drive Shaft

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 pm

I am finally working on my long procrastinated motor switch on my 82 1100 and I just changed the stator and the clutch plates. My question is about the gear seen on the upper part of this picture, in the hole that the output shaft goes into ( I hope that I have identified that correctly). That gear will move back and forth. Does the shaft go into that gear or does the gear stay on the side of the shaft? Here is a pic.

That gear is in the top center of the picture.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: Inserting Drive Shaft

Postby redbug » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Remove the access cover and you can see the gear goes all the way to the back and the shaft goes onto that assembly. It might (the gear ) fall out when you remove the cover since the shaft has been removed. hope this helps...

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:58 am

It did Redbug. I need to get the output shaft off the rear cover to insert it back in correctly. Not sure how to separate it from the cover. My manual gives me nothing. Most likely some kind of snap clip but I haven't figured that out yet, but I know it needs to come apart.

Helps having a warm garage, a TV, computer and a fridge of beer. And plenty of time to get this done. If getting this apart is easy, please don't rub it in.

Hoosier Jack

Postby Hoosier Jack » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:07 am

Thought I would post up on this so if someone else has this to do it might help. The output shaft does need to come off the rear cover in order to install it back into the motor. It will separate from that housing with a swift smash of a hammer. I thought that it may have a circlip to hold it in, but that's not the case. Will just pop right back in when the shaft is put back in the motor.

In order to put it back in you will need to take off the inspection plate on the right side of the motor to access the gears the output shaft goes into. There is a screen under that plate and you will need to remove it carefully. I have a couple of motors that I took off the plate and they were filthy under there so it looks to be a good thing to keep a handle on.

If someone is looking for an 1100 motor I have two extras. Both have some issues. I can get about $50 scrap for them so they are yours for that. It has been nice to scrap parts from.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”