Gas tank cleaning without removal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Jayv
Motorcycle: 1982 GL100

Gas tank cleaning without removal

Postby Jayv » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 pm

I have surface rust in the gas tank. I'm going to use vinegar with the tank left on the bike. The tank is full. I plan on siphoning the gas out then the vinegar when done. Is there a more thorough way to drain the fluids? I also will be replacing the petcock due to it leaking when turning it from on to off. This wouldn't be the best place to drain because its not the lowest point, correct?

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Gas tank cleaning without removal

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Good evening Jayv, since you are in a good climate area,you can clean as you go. Add 3 oz seafoam per gal fuel. Let set as usual and run as normal, do several tanks and your surface rust should be gone, once rust cleaned up, change the fuel filter. The petcock is your lowest point. Draining and using vinegar is also method if you're willing to let it sit 3 or 4 days. Good luck :D :D

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:29 pm

It seems I neglected to say WELCOME to the best GW site out there :D :D

Jayv

Postby Jayv » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 am

Thank you for the welcome and seafoam tip. I'll try that 1st

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:14 am

Jayv wrote:I have surface rust in the gas tank. I'm going to use vinegar with the tank left on the bike. The tank is full. I plan on siphoning the gas out then the vinegar when done. Is there a more thorough way to drain the fluids? I also will be replacing the petcock due to it leaking when turning it from on to off. This wouldn't be the best place to drain because its not the lowest point, correct?

The previous reply is completely wrong except for the filter and that's only partially correct. Seafoam is not going to remove rust from your tank nor will MMO or any other additive you can run through the fuel system and no, the petcock is not the lowest point. You're better off pulling the sending unit and siphoning from there making sure to suck out what sediment you can. You can use a flexible toilet brush to reach in and scrub after a vinegar soak, also. No point in changing the filter until you've run some fuel through it after a cleaning as there's going to be some residual crap that comes out of the tank no matter how well you rinsed it.
So much misinformation on forum boards :roll:

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 am

Well, do you have a wet/dry vac? Suck it dry..add a smaller flexible tube to the regular vac hose and work through the gauge sender port. Wife's hair dryer to finish it off..but you may get some flash rust hard to avoid unkindness yoiu fill eh tank with gas immediately with gas.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:28 am

RBGERSON wrote:Well, do you have a wet/dry vac? Suck it dry..add a smaller flexible tube to the regular vac hose and work through the gauge sender port. Wife's hair dryer to finish it off..but you may get some flash rust hard to avoid unkindness yoiu fill eh tank with gas immediately with gas.

No no no no!!!

NEVER use a wet vac/shop vac to suck a fuel tank dry, unless you want a huge fire and possibly an explosion!

Shop vacs use motors with brushes in them, which generate sparks with every revolution of the motor. Suck gasoline up with one, and it will vaporize instantly in the vacuum, be blown out the exhaust, at which point where it will be ignited into a huge fireball by the sparks in the vacuum motor. If you're unlucky, it will blow out enough gasoline vapor first (it only takes a few seconds) that when it is ignited, you'll have a huge explosion that can blow up your house.

Here's a guy who had a lawn mower in the back of his SUV, and it leaked gasoline into the carpet. He tried sucking up the gasoline with a vacuum cleaner at the local car wash:

Some guys in a shop sucking gasoline out of a fuel tank with a vacuum:

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:05 am

Had the gas tanks on a 30 foot Unifite (boat) clened years ago. Took them out to a rad/gas tank shop to be cleaned. Reasonable price for the size of them - 60 USG each. They were pitted a bit and I could have had them coated on the inside to seal them, chose not to. Recommend if you can, remove and take your tank in, worth the few dollars, could reduce the stress level in the future.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

I think, I'm pretty fairly positive RB was taking about sucking out the vinegar not the gasoline,, Only I am dumb enough to do that.... :lol: I didn't blow up but I should have...LOL I used my shop vac once to clear the tank of a small amount of fuel because I didn't care... I was outside and ready for some fun,, it should be just fine to clear out the vinegar with....I would use a Shop Vac as long as it's gas free.... :lol: I mean just to be safe.... :lol: I used an air hose to blow out the pipes and such and made a wire brush scrubber thingy to down inside and get anything loose out, I did it at least 3 times, until I thought the tank was clean enough.......Oh it was a mess.... :shock:

Jayv

Postby Jayv » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
RBGERSON wrote:Well, do you have a wet/dry vac? Suck it dry..add a smaller flexible tube to the regular vac hose and work through the gauge sender port. Wife's hair dryer to finish it off..but you may get some flash rust hard to avoid unkindness yoiu fill eh tank with gas immediately with gas.

No no no no!!!

NEVER use a wet vac/shop vac to suck a fuel tank dry, unless you want a huge fire and possibly an explosion!

Shop vacs use motors with brushes in them, which generate sparks with every revolution of the motor. Suck gasoline up with one, and it will vaporize instantly in the vacuum, be blown out the exhaust, at which point where it will be ignited into a huge fireball by the sparks in the vacuum motor. If you're unlucky, it will blow out enough gasoline vapor first (it only takes a few seconds) that when it is ignited, you'll have a huge explosion that can blow up your house.

Here's a guy who had a lawn mower in the back of his SUV, and it leaked gasoline into the carpet. He tried sucking up the gasoline with a vacuum cleaner at the local car wash:

Some guys in a shop sucking gasoline out of a fuel tank with a vacuum:

Thank you for taking the time to put this out. Point taken with the shopvac. I plan on using 2 of these http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-siph ... 60598.html, or I will just suck it up and take off the tank.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 am

YES..I WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT SUCKING THE VINEGAR WATER MIXTURE NOT GAS!!!!

Thanks..beaver for helping to clarify for me...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Wow ................
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:22 am

Vinegar will work, to a point. Read this article. http://homemadeforelle.com/natural-knife-cleaner/

It compares the 4 top natural rust cleaners. Vinegar finished 3rd. But I have used it with some luck on knives and garden tools, but with some elbow grease to remove all the rust. BUT... I still firmly believe the product called Metal Rescue (I am not affiliated with this product in any way) is the way to go for gas tanks. Won't harm your hands, and does the job complete without rinsing or scrubbing.

My friend had an '82 wing and cleaned his tank with Metal Rescue. I was there. When he was pouring it in I thought I smelled potatoes. I think it has some in the formula. ANY WAY... This stuff costs around $20 a gallon. He didn't want to buy five, so we figured a way to save some money by inserting a bladder (kinda) in the tank. It was three bicycle inner tubes. We had the valve stems stick out the sending unit hole. Put two gallons of the Metal Rescue in and filled the bike tires with air. We ended up putting in a fourth bike tire to get the fluid all the way to the top. (He went out and rearranged the tubes several times during the soak process.)

He left it sit for about 20 hours. We had rigged a shop vac hose to suck out all the Metal Rescue. He had cleaned the shop vac very well before doing this, because you can re-use the Metal Rescue 3 more times. And we saved it. He used it on some other stuff, and it worked very well even having been used before. The tank was shinny as new. He immediately filled the tank with gas to avoid the flash rust.

If I ever need to clean a tank, this is the way I'll do it. With the vinegar one would still need to scrub the inside to get all the rust off.

I had removed a tank from an 82 Wing a long time ago. I would rather crawl naked on my belly through shards of glass that had been set on fire before I would like to remove a tank again. But I would do it, if it was the only way to get my Wing running. ;)

Keep us posted of your progress please? And we all love seeing pictures. A picture is worth 874 words. (Inflation ya know?) :lol:

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:19 pm

"When he was pouring it in I thought I smelled potatoes."

Most likely it contains vodka... ;)

My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”