Leftover part after reinstalling rear wheel

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
newomij
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Leftover part after reinstalling rear wheel

Postby newomij » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Worst nightmare...left over part. Followed this thread start to finish but also rebuilt the shocks and the rear brake caliper at the same time. Near the end of putting everything back together, I lift a rag off the work bench and find this part. I have looked through all the threads here that I used to do the above work and I can't find where this piece goes. It slides over the rear axel as if it were meant to be and the length seems to suggest it should be inside the final drive. But, before I remove the wheel again, can anyone confirm this? The picture shows the piece sitting on a standard business card for size reference.

As you can see in my profile, I ride an 82 Aspencade.

PS. If I do have to remove the wheel again, is rebuilding the rear master brake cylinder easier with the wheel off or does is make a difference?
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Leftover part after reinstalling rear wheel

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 am

newomij wrote:Worst nightmare...left over part. Followed this thread start to finish but also rebuilt the shocks and the rear brake caliper at the same time. Near the end of putting everything back together, I lift a rag off the work bench and find this part. I have looked through all the threads here that I used to do the above work and I can't find where this piece goes. It slides over the rear axel as if it were meant to be and the length seems to suggest it should be inside the final drive. But, before I remove the wheel again, can anyone confirm this? The picture shows the piece sitting on a standard business card for size reference.

As you can see in my profile, I ride an 82 Aspencade.

PS. If I do have to remove the wheel again, is rebuilding the rear master brake cylinder easier with the wheel off or does is make a difference?

I hate to tell you this, but it's a little more than just removing the rear wheel. That part is the bearing spacer that goes in the middle of the wheel when the bearings are replaced:

Removing it is step 11 on How to replace your rear wheel bearings. It is used to properly space the bearing inner races and prevent lateral force from being applied to them. Your bearings will not last very long without it.

You're going to have to pull the rear wheel off, and remove one of the bearings in order to install it - which means you're going to have to replace the bearing you pull, because pulling it will put enough stress on the inner race that it will be damaged.

As for the rear master cylinder, the rear wheel should make no difference to rebuilding it.

newomij

Postby newomij » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks, Wingman. But, I'm looking through the axel portal and I can see a flush surface all the way through the wheel until I see the void inside the final drive. And, just to verify what I think I see, I reached in with a pick probe to slide it across the surfaces. Plus, I didn't remove the bearings when the wheel was off. Is there anywhere else this extra piece might go?

Hmmm. I think I found where it goes. I'm looking at a Clymer repair manual at an exploded view of the final drive and see a piece that looks too familiar called, simply, 'spacer'. I must have removed it when I was degreasing the splines assuming that it can be removed without some form of disassembly 'cause I didn't disassemble any portion of the final drive.

So, off comes the wheel again. Practice makes perfect. Right?

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi newomij. I might not be much help because I have an 82 Interstate, and am not sure our wheels and final drives are the same. But having removed my rear wheel about ten times, I've never seen a part like the one that you found under a rag that would fit anything on the final drive of mine.

My first thought after you said you didn't replace the bearings was that maybe it was a part that was never on your bike. Is is possible that your extra part is from something else you worked on? Or did you get any extra parts from the previous owner for your bike? Could it be a spacer for your brake caliper? Looks like a slide I use when I'm playing my guitar, and sliding the blues. ;) Just trying to think outside the box.

This sure is a mystery that has me intrigued. Like some people watch TV to see what happens in the next episode, I'll be watching for the solution of your dilemma.

Good luck and remember to breathe.

newomij

Postby newomij » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Take a look at this page which shows this part in the parts manual. It's about half way down. Look for Block F 17 and look for part 16 called 'Collar B'. Part # 42625-463-000. http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL110 ... Manual.pdf
I find it interesting that this part is sitting outside the diagram as if there may be an option of whether it's used or not. If patbrandon1 doesn't have one on his identical bike, I wonder if any other 82 Aspencade riders are aware of the presence, or lack of presence, in their final drives?

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 pm

The plot thickens. That sure is strange. Is the axle big enough to fit through your found extra part? I'm not saying there isn't one of those in my final drive, if it is, then it is in so tight that I've never seen it come out. I've half a mind to go take my rear wheel off just to see it there is one on it, or in it. AND it is strange how the parts diagram has that part on the outside of the line of parts.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in here. I thought Wingadmin was spot on until you said you never removed the bearings.

I'm including a snipped pic of the parts manual page you are referring to, to make it easier for others to see the mystery part.
Attachments

newomij

Postby newomij » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:22 am

With my flashlight, I can see inside the final drive and it looks and measures exactly the size of my extra part. The axel fits through that piece like it was made to do so. I think we'll find out that some have that part in the final drives and some don't. Ultimately, I'm guessing it can either way. Use it or leave it out. But, I too want to hear from others who are familiar with the final drives. :ugeek:

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:53 pm

I did the same thing.
The bike rides ok w/out it but I did not think that was a bright idea.
I had to take the wheel off and it slid in where it belongs.
You do not have to pull the bearings out.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:46 pm

I'm glad the mystery is solved. Yes I believe it would be best to have it in.

One thing that is still strange, why is the part on the outside of the line in the parts diagram? Is is because some may not have this part?

Something I have learned to do while taking bikes apart is to put parts in Ziplock baggies and label them, then hang them on hooks on a pegboard in order of removal. I too have had parts left over that I had to backtrack, and it costs time I could be riding (or shoveling snow like today).

Thanks for the ability to learn from this, and watch a real life mystery. :D

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:37 am

Wilcoy02 wrote:I did the same thing.
The bike rides ok w/out it but I did not think that was a bright idea.
I had to take the wheel off and it slid in where it belongs.
You do not have to pull the bearings out.

I agree Wilcoy. It happened to me with my '78 GL. It rode fine, but I noticed an odd howling at highway speed. It wasn't to loud, and I thought it was maybe my imagination. The noise seemed to only happen when I backed off on the throttle, and was cruising on a flat level road, or going downhill. But as soon as I gave it some throttle, and applied load such as when going up a hill, the howling would stop. Obviously something wasn't right. The noise wasn't going away, and it needed attention.
Sure enough, the part got missed during assembly. I removed the wheel and re-installed the spacer, without disturbing the bearings. Problem solved. That was probably 50,000 kms. ago, and no issues since.
It might just be the photo, but it seems that spacer is a bit longer than mine. It's hard to tell. Maybe just the difference in years.

Good luck.....................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Postby aznyaz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 am

I've had my rear wheel off several times for tire replacement and I've been scratching my head about this for awhile, but it appears you've figured it out in your second post.

There are actually 2 spacers, or collars as the parts manual calls them, where one is part of the rear wheel assembly and the other is part of the final drive assembly. The one inside the wheel cannot just fall out if all you've done was removed the wheel from the bike, however the one in the final drive slides out very easily. The part that was leftover as you found out was the spacer/collar that sits inside the final drive. If one of these was not in place (in this case, the one that's in the final drive) and you torqued the axle nut, you might notice some drag on the rear wheel because you would have been tightening the final drive into the wheel instead of onto the spacer. If you discovered your "leftover" before you torqued the axle nut, you're fine.

MJ

newomij

Postby newomij » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:47 pm

You nailed it aznyaz. When I tried torquing the axel nut, I felt and heard the drag on the wheel. I'm pulling it all back off to put it all back together again but, this time with all parts included. There is still one question that has a couple of us baffled still. Looking at the parts diagram that patbrandon1 posted, it shows this spacer outside the lines. I've looked at another diagram and it showed that part in the same position, outside the lines. Anyone got an idea of why?

One of the respondents here mentioned putting parts in plastic baggies and labeling them as they were being removed. Sure wish I'da thought of that earlier.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Glad I could help!

When I'm working on something that's unfamiliar, I will bag the parts and label them. It's too easy to lose track of all the bits and pieces.

As for the spacer being shown outside of the lines, I don't have a clue. I don't think it makes any difference but it does make it difficult to see exactly where the part fits.

MJ

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:18 pm

aznyaz wrote:Glad I could help!

When I'm working on something that's unfamiliar, I will bag the parts and label them. It's too easy to lose track of all the bits and pieces.

As for the spacer being shown outside of the lines, I don't have a clue. I don't think it makes any difference but it does make it difficult to see exactly where the part fits.

MJ

The lines in the parts diagram mean only what is included in each assembly. You can buy various different parts according to their callout numbers. Or, you can order the final drive as a finished assembly, which INCLUDES all of the things inside the box, by ordering part number 2.

Because part 16 is outside of the box, it means that if you order the assembly by ordering part number 2, it does not include the sleeve (part number 16).

Rear Drive parts diagram
Rear Drive parts diagram

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

MJ

newomij

Postby newomij » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Back together WITH SPACER in the final drive, torqued to proper specks, and wheel turning smooth and easy.
Thank you's to everyone who helped me find this little extra piece I had leftover. :oops:

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:40 am

Glad you got it sorted out. And very pleased that it is back where it belongs. Every bit of safety first.

There is no need to be embarrassed. Anyone that has turned a wrench for more than 10 minutes has either misplaced a part, or had an extra one left over.

A piece of 2' X 4' peg board, and a set of hooks from Harbor Freight cost me about $10 total. That with a couple sizes of Ziplock baggies has saved me a bunch of time and headaches. (Oh, and a Sharpie too.)

You could always video the work you're doing, but when I do that, it takes me twice as long to fix something. I can only imagine all the work it took for WingAdmin to make all those How-To's.

Ride safe and ride often. :D

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:19 am

real glad you got a nice running bike. A lot of work but it makes the ride so much sweeter.

Do not feel bad about asking -- you got good advice form this forum.
And we all have been there and done that.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:01 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:Glad you got it sorted out. And very pleased that it is back where it belongs. Every bit of safety first.

There is no need to be embarrassed. Anyone that has turned a wrench for more than 10 minutes has either misplaced a part, or had an extra one left over.

And the standard rule is that when you get everything put together and discover the spare part, that part will require the MAXIMUM amount of disassembly to reinstall, usually involving undoing everything you just did.

Simon Templar
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800BD F6B Deluxe

Postby Simon Templar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Man...don't you just hate it when you finish a job like that and have something left over?

Usually scares the crap out of me....especially when I've no idea what it is or where it came from in the first place. :o :o

...sT

FAA, Retired -- 1982-2012

--- If at first you don't succeed....skydiving may not be for you! ---

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”