blown head gasket?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Subvetma1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1I Interstate

blown head gasket?

Postby Subvetma1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:11 am

I have a 1982 1100 Interstate that is blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. It does not do it immediately, it has to run for a minute or so before it does it. It gets worse when you rev it up. The coolant reservoir is empty and has some black gunk in it. I had my local shop do an oil change and an compression test on it and they got these results. Oil was slightly over full and very thin but did not really smell like anti-freeze. The oil was black and not milky looking like if it had water or anti-freeze in it R-F cylinder was at 160psi, R-R 158psi, L-F 130psi, and the L-R was 142psi. Is 130psi to low or does that seem ok? Is 160psi to high? With these compression readings could it still be a head gasket leak causing the white smoke? If not, what could it be? I got the bike in August and it had sat for a while. It has gotten progressively gotten worse and I have put about 4,000 miles on it since I got it. Thanks for all of the advice in advance

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: blown head gasket?

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:09 am

Ps range shoudl be 165 to 140 as working OK..the higher the better and all should be within 5lbs of each other. So you've got issues. Check the spark plugs on the left side do they look steam cleaned = blown gasket, does the exhaust smell sweet = blown gasket(assuming you've got antifreeze in the radiator), losing water with no leak/dips = blown gasket.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Wondering if it is moisture build up or does it continue to get worse for the whole time you run it?

Have you checked the valve clearances as well - maybe thinking a burnt exghaust valve?

Subvetma1

Postby Subvetma1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:51 pm

haven't checked the valve clearance, may try that instead of new head gasket. should be cheaper right?

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20 pm

could be a blown head gasket.... smell the exhaust... if it's a blown head gasket, the white smoke will smell sweet, not oily. If there is not smell, it is probably condensation. It does tend to collect in the left pipe a bit as well. These bikes also have a habit of burning a little oil on the left bank on start up and a few minutes after start up from sitting on the side stand. When you take off the valve covers to check valve clearances, look for water (milky sludge), it will really show up in the valve covers. Valve adjustment can effect compression readings if an exhaust valve has really tightened up.

Adjusting the valves is really easy, there is a step by step on the site for the 1100's. You just need a good feeler gauge, a couple of screwdrivers and wrenches... changing the head gasket is pretty easy too, if you are the least bit mechanically inclined. Just pay close attention to the how to's. (step by step, take it slow) There is even one for the 1100's on this site.
Just use OEM head gaskets. Get new timing belts, and buy all new o-rings and gaskets for the top of the motor.

Subvetma1

Postby Subvetma1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 pm

should I get the parts off of ebay or is there a better source for parts?

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Head gasket from mother Honda only. The last one I bought was about 88 bucks each. The o-rings and gasket for the top of the head will run you about 40 bucks, if you do both sides (this includes all intake o-rings and the coolant tube o-rings and gaskets). The timing belts, go with OEM from honda (very expensive) or go to napa and get a set of GATES timing belts. About 1/3 of the price as the ones from Honda. Coolant, I use honda's latest from the car parts department. It's actually blue and looks like windex, about 10 bucks a gallon but then you know, you have coolant safe for the water pump. I can't find the silica free stuff in my neck of the woods.

You may want to take a close look at your valve cover gaskets as well.

On the head gasket, almost everyone agrees that the OEM head gaskets are the only way to go. The aftermarket ones sometimes leak and you have to do it all over again.

There are several gothcha's on the head gasket. Make sure you don't loose the oil jet, and take a picture of it's orientation. Before you start, make sure the engine is TDC and when you replace the head, make sure the cam is in the proper position BEFORE you bolt it together. If you have to turn it, you run a chance of bending a valve. Also, make sure the head gasket is in the right position. These bikes use the same headgasket for both sides and it's possible to put it on backwards. Make sure the big passage on the bottom lines up. Again, if you go step by step with the instructions on this site, you will not have a problem. I didn't know about this site when I did mine, and I had a piss poor manual that didn't mention any of these things. I have actually made almost all the mistakes above. Just remember, it's a precision piece of equipment.

All that said, the 1100 made me a much better shade tree mechanic.

Subvetma1

Postby Subvetma1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks for the info guys. Since I didn't win the powerball I better start saving my pennies to get all of the work done before riding season gets here.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:23 pm

I had the same issue. Changed the head gasket and its still smoked. Turned out it was one of my carbs which was causing gas fumes/steam.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:55 pm

made2care wrote:I had the same issue. Changed the head gasket and its still smoked. Turned out it was one of my carbs which was causing gas fumes/steam.

True, but my money is on a blown head gasket. If it turns out to be this issue, I would do both sides, as these things like to wait 6 months, and then the other side will sure enough blow.
Having done several, I have used the Athena top end kit to repair these beasts.
The gaskets and O-rings fit perfectly and I have never had an issue with them.
No leaks or complaints. The kit cost around $100. Cam oil seals (2) and end cap seal (1) should be replaced also, they are not included in the top end kits. I would also suggest to replace the radiator hoses and thermostat, even if they look o.k.
Let us know what you find out, as many of us have done this job! We can help. Regards, Johnny

Subvetma1

Postby Subvetma1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanks, I will let you know when I get the work done if it solves the problem. I had already planned to have the bike gone over to make sure it is in good mechanical condition. I plan on riding it from Ohio to around Albany New York on vacation in July, don't want to break down halfway there.

Subvetma1

Postby Subvetma1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm

What is a good source for the Athena gasket kit?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:36 am

E-bay usually has them. Regards, Johnny

Subvetma1

Postby Subvetma1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:20 pm

Just an update. My tech told me the head gasket is definitely blown, the condition of the oil was milky and there was no anti-freeze in the radiator. He also found the timing wheel to the left timing belt was off alignment by one tooth and also a valve was bent on the left side. So that was probably causing the low compression. I am also having the timing belts changed while he has it apart. Should I have anything else done while he is doing this work?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Maybe the radiator hoses, seeing as the coolant is out anyway. And if you have a few extra dollars, and haven't done it already, the water pump is relatively easily accessible when you're doing that work.

The radiator hoses can be had for cheap - a single NAPA hose can be cut to make the hoses needed for the GL1100. Check the reference forum for details.

pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Postby pschweitzer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:39 pm

I changed my hoses out with the NAPA hose some time ago, but lately have seen silicon preformed hoses on e-bay. Just curious if anyone has used these.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”