Help. Engine problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
wyomingroadwarrior
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100a Aspencade

Help. Engine problems

Postby wyomingroadwarrior » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:14 pm

Hey guys. I bought an 83 aspencade about six months back and have been slowly restoring it. Im not very experienced but im learning. I had the bike running well until recently i came across some problems. My bike has been losing oil, and after an inspection i found there was oil in the coolant. I believe this means my head gaskets (or heads) have gone. correct? but the problem that im not sure of, is that i hear a ticking coming from my engine when idling. Its very sporadic, but when i hear this tick, my engine immediately cuts out briefly and then resumes idling perfectly until the next tick. The tick can be anywhere from 2-15 seconds apart. I tried locating the ticking noise, it seems like its deeper in the engine and i cant really tell. Are these problems related? Is my bike screwed?

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: Help. Engine problems

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:46 pm

You are probably ok. If it is the head gasket (pull the plugs and see if one of the plugs is cleaner than the rest-steam cleaned), the ticking may be a mis-fire (caused by coolant on the spark plug and shorting out), and that's causing ignition in the hot exhaust, or, due to the engines sensitivity to a mis (gear and chain chatter), the mis may be causing slight engine rattle. I think before I done any troubleshooting for the tic, I would address the coolant loss. The water pump seals can also cause a fluid mix, but a spark plug check might clue you in.......btw...if you can't repair the coolant loss right away, I think I would change the oil (at least once), and drain the coolant out, to prevent cylinder (or other) rust.....within the next few days or whatever...
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:57 pm

I would check the weep hole on the water pump to see if there is any seepage , you can find pictures and how to change the pump in the above how-to articles. And like Fixrupr mentioned about the plugs. :D :D

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:58 am

The ticking could also be a cracked coil that is arcing and causing the engine to miss. The oil in coolant is, in my opinion, most likely a head gasket.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Unless there is obvious evidence of head gasket failure (steam-cleaned plugs) I would check the water pump and its seals first. It's easier to do a water pump than a head gasket. See How to remove and replace your water pump

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”