More questions on progressive fork springs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

More questions on progressive fork springs

Postby ankgrays » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:52 pm

First off: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Second: Happy birthday WingAdmin!...and thanks for all you do here with goldwingdocs.com!

Ok...formalities out of the way. I know there have been past threads about progressive fork springs.

All were good, but...

Looking at a set for my 81 GWI 1100. The specs say 45/70 spring rate (lbs/inch).

What the heck does that mean to me and why? Is that good? Bad? What was / were originals?

What is best for me? I'm a 6'1", 210 lb., bald, diabetic, old guy with high bp. (Sounds pretty sexy, right?)

I need some ed-u-ma-kay-shun on progressives. Someone please enlighten me!

I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: More questions on progressive fork springs

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 pm

ankgrays wrote:First off: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Second: Happy birthday WingAdmin!...and thanks for all you do here with goldwingdocs.com!

Ok...formalities out of the way. I know there have been past threads about progressive fork springs.

All were good, but...

Looking at a set for my 81 GWI 1100. The specs say 45/70 spring rate (lbs/inch).

What the heck does that mean to me and why? Is that good? Bad? What was / were originals?

What is best for me? I'm a 6'1", 210 lb., bald, diabetic, old guy with high bp. (Sounds pretty sexy, right?)

I need some ed-u-ma-kay-shun on progressives. Someone please enlighten me!

45/70 means that for the initial portion of compression, the spring compresses one inch for every 45 lbs of pressure applied. Once the first portion of the spring has compressed, the second portion requires 70 lbs of pressure to compress one inch. So you get a softer, more compliant ride until the spring is compressed more (like when braking) at which point it provides more spring rate (resistance) against compression.

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Ok, thanks. Good explanation.

Do they come in different or better rates?

Would these be good for my physical size?
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:21 am

NO one size fits all for a model/bike. should work just fine for you..gives a bitter stiffer ride than stock and no air is required. But this kind of thing is really personal preference.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:17 am

I am close to your size, and the Progressive springs are very comfortable.
You can also try different weights of oil in the springs to stiff them up or tone them down also.
On my 1980 1100 I have the progressive 412"s in the rear and progressive springs on the front, the difference in the ride is really quite noticeable, especially with a passenger. Although it is somewhat expensive, I think its money well spent. As RB posted- No air is required- which I find to be a bonus. I kept my air hook ups in place on the front just to have them. I was never enthusiastic about the stupid factory rear air valve placement on my bike :roll: , and was glad to get rid of it.
While I was rebuilding my front forks I sanded them down and spent a little time polishing them up. They came out rather nice.
Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnny

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”