'82 GL1100A - To sell as is, rebuild and sell, or rebuild and keep?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Spamcan
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade; 2012 Victory Cross Country

'82 GL1100A - To sell as is, rebuild and sell, or rebuild and keep?

Postby Spamcan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:32 pm

So several years back I bought a (not so well) running GL1100A from a friend. It needed TLC and I took it on as my "future upgrade" from a Suzuki C50. It needs a valve job (some smoking out the exhaust), replace the rear brake disk, tuning, and some general maintenance and cleanup. I immediately bought all of the parts I need (except tires), took off the heads, and baggage/fairing. Well, not long after that point we moved and had a kid and near 6 years later it still sits in garage in the same parts piles, not doing anything. But I have also purchased a 2012 Victory Cross Country, so I have my "upgraded bagger". Being I have no idea when I'll ever get the time to finish it I'm pondering what to do with it? I'd like your feedback on my options:
1. Sell as is, complete parts "kit"?
2. Sell off parts individually?
3. Should I finish the rebuild and sell it? Better profit?
4. Or should I bite the bullet and get the job done and keep it? Heck, I have a "Collectors" registration so no annual renewal...

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. If "to sell" in any mode is the way to go, I'd only hope to get what I paid (which was not much) for bike and the parts.

'94 Honda Shadow 600 (gone)
'09 C50 SE Grey/Silver (gone)
'82 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (tinkering mode)
'12 Victory Cross Country

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Re: '82 GL1100A - To sell as is, rebuild and sell, or rebuild and keep?

Postby ankgrays » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:43 pm

If I was closer, I'd help you out and give you $100 so you could get rid of it. 8-)

...Just me though, I'd finish it and keep it.

I don't think you would regret it.
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks. That's how I'd like to go, keeping it. But I just need time, or find someone local who works on these anymore (and I can afford).

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:32 pm

my thought is that you will have to due the work yourself because you probably could not afford to pay someone to put it back together again. With laying around for 5 or 6 years, who knows if any parts are missing etc. just me. this forum can help you a lot if you have the time and patience. :D :D

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 am

Parting out will take longer and you'll still wind up with leftover parts. Selling as is - basket case - will not net much money. It's a Wing not an old T bucket... Put it back together, try to get it running - a running bike is worth more than a "complete" bike in boxes. Even one that turns over but doesn't run will get you more coin.

And same as ankgrays - if I was closer, I'd come down and take it off your hands. It's probably two tone gray... with no broken plastic. :lol:
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks all. Looks like I gotta suck it up and get to doing some tinkering again. I was somewhat diligent at bagging and labeling parts as they came off and putting them into bins. Let's hope I did well...

OldBear - you're close on the color. I't more like a pearl white with silver. No primer (yet). The only broken plastic is the lid on the left saddlebag. I think I can weld it back together. A buddy of mine did the same on his '82 Silverwing trunk lid.

Here are 2 pics, as when I bought it and how it sits now (before I took the headers/valves and such off). I just got done de-greasing it.
Attachments

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:03 am

Looks good. I'm looking for something like that up north here. My wife wants to learn to ride and I want a fun bike to drive (when not touring). A naked wing would fit the bill for me.

Have fun - they are great bikes to work on, and this site (plus some others that I don't go to) are indispensable for helping with repair and rebuilds.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:18 pm

I know that this will not be the politically correct answer for this forum but life is short. Kick it to the curb. Spend the time with your family. Package the whole project up and sell it quick, make someone else happy. The time you spend with your young family and your new bike is worth way more than that wing. And in the future when the kids are grown and you find yourself wanting a wing they will still be available and this forum will still be here.

Wish you the best,
The Kid

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:41 pm

The shop is where I spend time with my kids. They will know how to fix things when they finally reach adulthood (currently 6 and 4). My wife and I started dating because of the bike. I'd use the time to teach your kids some valuable life skills.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:48 pm

I would pull the carb rack and have it rebuilt. Get a set of heads from Ebay (or lap the valves and change the valve seals), get two new head gaskets from honda, and buy an aftermarket gasket set for the rest and two timing belts.. The rear brake rotor and rebuilding the carbs are the expensive parts. Once you have all the parts together, you could have it running in two weekends. The biggest problems is, that once it's together and you put tires on it, get the registration up to date, you will have as much into it as it's worth. If you take on the project, do it because you want to rebuild it and ride it.

Me.. I'd rebuild it, but that's not for everyone.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:18 pm

urbanmadness - I actually do have all the parts needed already. Even the lapping tool/paste. But it may be a good idea to get the whole carbrack rebuilt. My only issue is time. And like indianakid mentioned, it's the family time that's so hard to give up.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 am

Rebuilding a bike is a time consuming process, I have been working on mine for three years and counting!
You don't need to go at it hell bent for leather- to the point of ignoring the family either.
Most of the repairs can be done in segments of a couple of hours or so on the weekends - take your time and go slow, sure it might take twice as long, but it will get done eventually.
You will have more in it then its worth, or if the motorcycle gods smile on you, you might break even, provided you do all the labor yourself.
It is a labor of love, I guess.
Have fun, it will most likely be a longer trail then it looks! :)
Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnny

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 am

And it will cost you $500 just to have the carbs "properly" rebuilt. Do you really want to spend the time that it will take to finish this project? That is the question. ??? My advise is to sell as is and be done with it.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:54 am

Yeah, but if it were me, I'd pop the extra money to have them carbs rebuilt. I wouldn't tackle the carbs myself, I'd have have 'em done. Just cause it can make the difference between loving that bike, and hating it. After that, the motors, are pretty simple (if you are not splitting the case). Two weekends, (unless you decide to paint it) and it would be back together ready for some miles of pure joy. Heck, I'd just spend a night a week on it. That way, it's good for you (you get a break), and it's good for the family (you come back and enjoy your family even more)

I'm older now, and don't have kids in the house, but my wife and I do that. We take a night each week and do our own thing. Both of us had very overbearing relationships in our first marriages, so we value our "play" time and it's made us value our "together" time much more. If that makes any sense.

bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby bobbybiscuit » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:28 am

My Aspencade is off the road and has been since last July. Rear brake kept seizing. Now front brakes have drained of all brake fluid and I see no leak. Carb although revamped with a good clean is sucking air and takes 10 minutes to warm up. When you start the bike its "fits and farts" runs on 3 cylinders and then after a couple of minutes runs on all four. Fitted new coils and leads and plug caps. Plugs new. Have bought a new set of good looking carbs off a guy in the States and has replaced some of the parts. That will be stripped, cleaned and put back together in the spring when my sons mate comes to Plymouth when the weather improves (no garage).

I gave up on my bike last year because I had spent so much and done so little riding. But I am giving it one more try getting new parts where I can. But the parts are soooo expensive to get from the USA plus delivery which some companies charge $50 plus for delivery. In many instances alot more than the cost of the parts. Keep running out of funds is the problem.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”