GL1100a 1982 Aspencade - rear brake caliper

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

GL1100a 1982 Aspencade - rear brake caliper

Postby bobbybiscuit » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:14 am

My wife has convinced me to stick with the Goldwing despite it costing a fortune to keep on the road. BUT, I am willing to have one more attempt. So here goes......

Rear brake caliper - one piston or two?

This parts list shows 2
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1100a-gold ... ml#results

This information shows one
http://www.motorera.com/honda/h1100/aspen.htm

Can any one advise on this please?

I have two calipers in my possession for the back of the bike - one with two pistons and one with one.

Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100a 1982 Aspencade - rear brake caliper

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:14 pm

bobbybiscuit wrote:My wife has convinced me to stick with the Goldwing despite it costing a fortune to keep on the road. BUT, I am willing to have one more attempt. So here goes......

This parts list shows 2

I have two calipers in my possession for the back of the bike - one with two pistons and one with one.

Thanks

It depends on the year/version of GL1100 that you have.

Your 1982 Aspencade has two pistons:

If you read through this, you'll see me rebuilding the caliper on my 1982 Aspencade, which will look exactly like yours should: How to rebuild your rear brake caliper

bobbybiscuit

Postby bobbybiscuit » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:31 am

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I have ordered new seals etc plus new genuine Honda pistons (new old stock). So your guide will be very useful.

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Postby 82aspen » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:22 am

plenty of errors in this link for 82 alone

bobbybiscuit wrote:My wife has convinced me to stick with the Goldwing despite it costing a fortune to keep on the road. BUT, I am willing to have one more attempt. So here goes......

This parts list shows 2

Thanks

bobbybiscuit

Postby bobbybiscuit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks for pointing that out. You can see why i was confused now.

coop777
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate
1985 XL350R

Postby coop777 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:45 am

Hello gentlemen! After scouring many articles on the GL1100 I am very glad to find this article. I have similar questions about the rear calipers but on the 1983 Interstate.

My dad has graciously given me his much beloved '83 Wing that he has had since new but can no longer ride. I had put several thousand kilometres on it myself as a young man and dad has always said "someday this bike will be yours"! I need to pick it up this spring, about 1700 kms away from where I now live.

So...the bike isn't here for me to look at for myself so I need to ask some questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me understand a few things?

1. Am I reading things right, that there are dual brakes, 2 discs per wheel, both front and rear? (I thought there would only be 1 but it is a heavy bike!)

2. I've been looking at the caliper rebuild kits on partsnmore.com and see that there are "dual" for the front and "single" for the rear ('83 Interstate) and I was wondering if this meant single or dual pistons for the respective caliper? I see in your pictures, WingAdmin, that your '82 had 2 pistons on the rear caliper...I'm wondering why the '83 would only have 1, or is there an error on their website?

Dad said his rear brake had seized up a year ago but had finally released on its own, so we both are anticipating it needing to be rebuilt. I would like to order the correct kit in advance of getting the bike here if I can. That being said, I'm very confused as to which kit I'll even need or where to order it from if partsnmore.com doesn't have it for a "dual" rear caliper.

I would really appreciate any insight and information (part numbers, Canadian Distributors?) on this matter as I look forward to getting this machine roadworthy once again!

Thank you! :)

82aspen

Postby 82aspen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:10 am

82-3 are dual piston calipers, 2 calipers front, one rear

if the parts n more link indicates a single piston caliper rear for 83, that would be incorrect,

more likely it indicates i caliper rear, 2 fronts

easy to get this mixed up if not familiar with terminology

coop777 wrote:
1. Am I reading things right, that there are dual brakes, 2 discs per wheel, both front and rear? (I thought there would only be 1 but it is a heavy bike!)

2. I've been looking at the caliper rebuild kits on partsnmore.com and see that there are "dual" for the front and "single" for the rear ('83 Interstate) and I was wondering if this meant single or dual pistons for the respective caliper? I see in your pictures, WingAdmin, that your '82 had 2 pistons on the rear caliper...I'm wondering why the '83 would only have 1, or is there an error on their website?

Dad said his rear brake had seized up a year ago but had finally released on its own, so we both are anticipating it needing to be rebuilt. I would like to order the correct kit in advance of getting the bike here if I can. That being said, I'm very confused as to which kit I'll even need or where to order it from if partsnmore.com doesn't have it for a "dual" rear caliper.

coop777
1985 XL350R

Postby coop777 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Thank you for the quick reply and confirming the 2 front / 1 rear caliper, and that they both have 2 pistons. Now I've got something to go on!

Cheers!

82aspen

Postby 82aspen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 pm

coop777 wrote:Dad said his rear brake had seized up a year ago but had finally released on its own, so we both are anticipating it needing to be rebuilt. I would like to order the correct kit in advance of getting the bike here if I can. That being said, I'm very confused as to which kit I'll even need or where to order it from if partsnmore.com doesn't have it for a "dual" rear caliper.

could be lotsa reasons for and "brakes seized up" doesn't give enuff info, could be it was from sitting a long time? could be while driving it seized? could be lack of maintenance? etc

might just need a strip, clean & lube

the rear master cylinder has a tiny return (called a spooge) hole that is known to get plugged that then can result in the rear brake not releasing, overheating and even catching fire

83 has linked brakes meaning the right side foot brake pedal and master cylinder acts on the rear caliper AND on one front, so you'll prob hafta bleed both when breaching the system to do the rear,

i'd deal with the front at the same time and even the other caliper acted on by the right hand lever that also has an m/c spooge hole deal,

if you do the fronts, you will notice the pistons in the 2 calipers are not the same size which is normal,

if i had any doubts about old brake seals, i'd change them all front to back

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 am

Just finished rebuilding front and rear calipers on my '85. The sleeve in all three did not move and had to be persuaded to be removed. This sleeve allows the caliper to self centre on the brake rotor, if it does not move the brake can/will bind. This also causes the pads to wear unevenly. If the sleeve is seized it may be corroded significantly, but these are relatively cheap and easy to replace. The rest of the caliper just needed to be renewed. New crush washers on the brake lines bolt(s) should be used if you plan on removing the caliper from the brake line(s). Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

coop777
1985 XL350R

Postby coop777 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:26 am

Thanks to both of you for your comments. 82Aspen, I appreciate the explanation you gave on how the brake system works and recommendations.  I've learned a lot already! I agree that going through all of the brakes at the same time would be optimal. ‎
Unfortunately, because of my time restraints and lack of a proper place to leave the bike while being worked on, I might have to resort to ‎paying a shop to do the work.  I can only imagine it would be a huge bill to run through the whole braking system though. :shock:  At best I would perhaps just start with the rear caliper and hope that you were right and it just needs to be cleaned and lubed!
My dad was fussy about the bike and was meticulous about fluid changes etc but I'm pretty sure that none of the components of the bike were ever apart....no need, it always performed perfectly!   At least until the last few years when he started using it less and less. ‎ I know the carbs are also in need of some attention. 
Anyway...thanks again...I've got some decisions to make!
Dave.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:32 am

A lot of shops will not work on the older bikes. A possible solution is to source replacement calipers, rebuild then install in place of the old ones. Shop rates here in Victoria are north of $90.00 and hour, so it may be economical to do it this way. If you were to do it this way, swapping the calipers without draining brake lines is a bit messy but can be done quickly. Install the brake pads after you do this so you do not contaminate the pads with brake fluid (things don't always go smoothly). Spare parts for these old "girls" is always good to have.

For brake pads check out KapscoMoto out of Mississauga Ontario. Cost me just under $50.00 CDN (shipping and taxes in) for front and rear on the '85. Have bought other items from them as well - Iike dealing with this company.

Installed Speed Bleeders as well. Work a treat - much better results than doing it the old way with two people. Bought some for son-in-law's Motto Guzzi, but did not fit. Called company and it is sending me speed leaders for my truck as a swap. Not charging me any additional shipping, I just have to return the ones sent.

There is a company in Ontario called GoldwingKings. One man operation and has been dealing in used GW parts for over 20 years. His site is http://www.goldwingkings.com - worth a look - and it is in CDN dollars.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

bobbybiscuit

Postby bobbybiscuit » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:47 am

Quality parts for the 1982 GL1100a aspencade and 1983 aspencade are difficult to obtain and when they are available, usually you have to pay a premium price. BUT they do become available thats the important thing. If something that becomes available at a good price - buy it - just in case - especially brake calipers or the rear master brake cylinder. Kits are good so long as they are good quality kits.

I tried that web page link Rednax for Goldwingkings and it does not work. Found this though http://www.goldwingking.ca/ - is that the same one?

I have bought parts from here and they are very reasonable. http://www.straightwings.com/

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:53 pm

bobbybiscuit wrote:Quality parts for the 1982 GL1100a aspencade and 1983 aspencade are difficult to obtain and when they are available, usually you have to pay a premium price. BUT they do become available thats the important thing. If something that becomes available at a good price - buy it - just in case - especially brake calipers or the rear master brake cylinder. Kits are good so long as they are good quality kits.

I tried that web page link Rednax for Goldwingkings and it does not work. Found this though http://www.goldwingking.ca/ - is that the same one?

I have bought parts from here and they are very reasonable. http://www.straightwings.com/

goldwingkings.ca is the address, get mixed up on the .com/.ca. The fellows name at goldwingkings is Pat, very helpful.

Another place in Ontario is ZDENO Cycle in Kitchener, Ontario. Talked with them as well. Have used parts as well. Have a web site as well.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”