Warm Day Upgrades

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gamartin
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate

Warm Day Upgrades

Postby gamartin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

With this El Nino winter, we got a 45+ degree day, so I decided to get some upgrades done on the wing.

First, changed out the 4 round ligts on the Vetter trunk to oval LEDs, now wired to the brake lights also. They are bright!

Then I changed out the headlight that had a foggly lense and back reflector to a new DOT Euro light and installed a SilverStar bulb. Now it is not only bright but actually focusses on objects, vs just a glow.

I was having issues att he end of the summer with the radio, so for Christmas I got a 240 watt Boss 3" gauge radio. It is pretty sweet! Has AM/FM/Weather band, play off of SD cards and has a USB charging port for your phone. To do this I filled in the old radio hole with aluminum diamond plate, then added a few pcs to bling out the fairing.

Lastly, I wanted a more accurate voltmeter, so I installed a new digital unit in the gauge cluster. Very accurate, only .2 of a volt off according to my multimeter.

All in all a pretty productive day for winter :)

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: Warm Day Upgrades

Postby Overdog » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Love the look of the diamond plate! Does that radio also play music from the USB via a thumb drive or is it only for charging? I'd love to get rid of the giant aftermarket radio in the left pocket of the fairing and go to something smaller.....

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:27 pm

...oh, it's 55 here in the Burgh. I just installed Progressive 412s on the rear and took a quick test ride....I'm really impressed, even with the short ride the i took. The bike sits a LOT taller (actually leans a good bit when on the sidestand. I didn't put the bags back on so I could easily adjust them. I started out on the middle setting but moved to the softest setting halfway through the ride. When I got into the garage I put it on the centerstand.... I didn't have anything to grab with my hand since the bags, rack and all mounts are off. I just put my hand under the edge of the rear fender and gave a push with my foot and the damn thing just about jumped onto the centerstand. I'm confident that I won't be scraping things anymore when i chase around my young friends on their vintage Jap fours.... All that's left is some cleaning of the rack and bag mounts and put it back together.. It's going to be 57 tomorrow...I'm going riding!!!!!

gamartin

Postby gamartin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Overdog,

Yep, this warm weather is going to spoil us! I got out today, couldn't resist it.

The radio can play Mp3's or WMA's via the USB port. It also will do bluetooth streaming for audio. One of the things that amazed me with the radio is it that it is less then 4.5" deep. That is why I can keep my storage compartment and push the radio mounting up a s high as I did.

I am getting ready to do the rear shocks as my next upgrade.

Enjoy the weather, spring is not that far away :)

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:32 pm

Tell us more about what you did to your headlight.

Parts? Sources?

Thanks!
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

gamartin

Postby gamartin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Ankgray,
I replaced the headlight (glass) housing with a Euro style unit. It gave me a more focused reflector and non-pitted glass.
This is what I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-H6024-6014-H4 ... uQ&vxp=mtr

It will directly replace the existing unit.
Instead of using their bulb, I used a Sylvania SilverStar bulb. I wanted the white color. I have used these bulbs for years in the cars and trucks and the visibility is greatly improved over the standard halogen bulbs.

Since it was still warm (relative for this time of year) last night, I went for a ride and it is definitely improved over the 35 yr unit.

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Perfect!! Even in a "lower" price range than some I've seen...(cuz I'm a tightwad.) :D

Thanks for the quick reply!
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

gamartin

Postby gamartin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:29 pm

No problem! I have been accused of being that way also. :)

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 am

ankgrays wrote:Perfect!! Even in a "lower" price range than some I've seen...(cuz I'm a tightwad.) :D

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not a (tightwad) I'm just THRIFTY :oops:

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:58 pm

I like the gauge cluster.
Just sent you a PM.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

gamartin

Postby gamartin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Well I took advantage of a day off and slightly warmer weather then got a couple more small items completed on my checklist :)
I installed a new electronic flasher for the LED bulbs (a Triton EP34 unit)

Then removed the ignitors, that leaked last summer, cleaned them and refilled the back side with epoxy.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”