I can't wait, and putting the call out (parts)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

I can't wait, and putting the call out (parts)

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:10 am

I really can't wait to get my old 1100 back... I don't know why I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road. I mean, I have a perfectly great and awesome 1500... but I'm actually looking forward to changing the head gasket, and tracking down parts for it. I must be sick and demented.

So here it goes.... anyone have an extra choke cable running around? I'm also looking for a head gasket. I would like to try an Athena gasket and see how it goes. I don't mind buying an OEM gasket, but I figured I'd try the Athena. since I know some of us have bought the whole kit, and then used OEM head gaskets. He also took off the saddle bag rail hardware (they were not installed when I took this picture) Also missing the piece of trim on the bottom of the fearing (above the forks), and it will need a new rear master cylinder, a set of brake pads, rebuild kit for the rear caliper, a new speedometer cable. I'd also like a matching set of coils (mine are mismatched), and I'm gonna build some new plug wires for it.

I'm not quite sure which saddle bag lid I'm missing (I will find out tomorrow)...

I know, I know.... ebay is my friend, but sometimes you guys have parts laying around. The bike will be getting a full repaint. Maybe flames and ghost skulls, this time around. I do know, it's gonna be all red.... no white this time... :)

This is going to be my F4B project. I'll run without the trunk. I'm also going to cut down and tint a windshield for it. The bike has been mostly converted to LED's except for the instrument cluster. I also have a set of markland floorboards and heal toe shifter. I think it will make a cool, different wing.... This is what it looked like before it was sold. The bike does had a matching trunk and fender, they were just not installed when I took this picture.

I think it will make a cool little run around, commute, moto blog bike. I have a softspot for the 1100 interstate and aspincades. They were just more pure as a motorcycle then the later ones. Don't get me wrong, my 1500 is really nice and I love that bike too. This one will be more about the build, then about the ride (at least until it's done)

The good is, new plugs, new set cover, back rest and pockets, new timing belts, good suspension. no fork leaks, and the rear shocks are good. Air compressor works and the system holds air. The carb rack is in good shape. It does have a poor boy conversion on it as well although I'd call it more of a Ghetto boy conversion as it was totally a home brew affair.

Attachments

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Re: I can't wait, and putting the call out (parts)

Postby squirrel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi I have a new choke cable you can have oem part free but im in uk .if you want it pm your address and I'll post it free

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:43 pm

PM sent.

NOTE: I'm not looking for Free parts.... I just thought if a member had something laying around that they wanted to sell that it would be an opportunity to make a few bucks.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:58 am

Pm me with a complete list..I have lots of parts..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 pm

RBGERSON wrote:Pm me with a complete list..I have lots of parts..

pm sent

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Well, I took custody of the bike, earlier this week. It's a mess.... Lots of cleaning will have to be done, but I have it back.

I'm about ready to take a pressure washer to the top and bottom of the engine.... It's pretty filthy. This bike has always had a hard time staying clean but I when I had it originally, I was pretty religious about keep it clean. I use to wipe it down at least once a week.

I also need to find a 1100 dipstick kit. I always hated checking oil on this bike, so since it looks like I'm going to have it for a while, I think I'm gonna install a dipstick.

At least he didn't ride it with the blown head gasket. I did confirm it is blowing coolant out of the right bank but the oil still looks pretty clean (no milkshake). I'm sure I'll find a little when I pull the valve covers.

how hard is it to pull the carb rack completely out of one of these bikes? I've been blessed with a good set, but I'd like to clean up and paint the top of the motor.

Also, something that has always bothered me about it, it's a real pain to remove the false tank. It always hangs up and I have to "spread" the tank to get it off. It almost always messes up the coolant recovery tank. Is that normal? Bike is an 82' Aspincade.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:31 am

Here the list of parts I'm looking for so far.... I've sent this same list to the people who have already PM'd me. I really want to take a second to say thank you to everyone. I know, I can get most of this stuff on Ebay but I would rather give my money to people in the GoldWing community.

I'm looking for mostly cosmetic parts, at this point.

I'm looking for a trunk lid, an Antenna, set of coils, Speedo Cable (will probably buy new), right saddle bag lid, Rear brake Rotor('82 aspincade, yeah that rare one), rebuild kit for Rear master cylinder, Head Gasket (probably gonna go buy one from the local dealer). Oh the two little flap deals on the bottom of the saddle bags. (the black pieces). coolant recovery bottle.

I'm sure there are other things, but that's what is off the top of my head at this point. Aspincade secondary gauge pod (the one that mounts between the speakers on the fairing), leather cover for left fearing pocket.

I still haven't decided what I am going to do with this bike yet. While I love my 1500cc bike, My gl1100 is special to me. Ask, wingadmin, it was quite a while before I changed my Avatar. I have more of a connection with it. I think, mostly because it was my first bike. I don't know if I will be able to keep both of them tho. Space is a little limited. I'm gonna try like heck tho. I let it go once.... I don't want to let it go again.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Ok, I really wanted to say thank you.

I've had Squirrel send a choke cable (he wouldn't even accept postage)
RBGerson and 4Wred have also been great. I am buying quite a few items from RBGerson and 4Wred also got back to me with a list of a few odds and ends. Unfortunately, all of them are the same items I've already agreed to buy from RBGerson. (unless 4Wred has luck finding the rear rotor I'd like to get)

It's guys like you that make this forum awesome and I'm proud to be part of it.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Quick update:

I spent about two hours cleaning up the bike then spent about an hour cleaning up the engine on it. I've also dug up a few parts for it I had laying around in the shed.

I am thinking about changing up the color scheme a little. It will depend if I can co over it with more red. If not, then I'm probably going to repaint the whole bike.

Skulls and ghost flames, baby!

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

wounded wing

Postby urbanmadness » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:38 am

Today I changed the head gasket. All that's left is to change the oil, fill it with coolant, put the crash bar back on, put the alternator back on.... and it should be ready to fire up. I still need to double check the timing marks (I haven't rolled over the engine yet to make sure the marks are lined up when all the slack etc it out of the belt.)

I took my time and it took about 4 hours.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

wounded wing update

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Well, looks like I used the wrong timing marks on the right bank.... Lucky I have not moved the engine off of TDC. Why did Honda have more then one set of timing marks on the dang pulley?

Still need to get an oil filter, coolant, and re-time it, and put the alternator on it, and it should be ready to fire up.

I haven't decided what I am going to do with the crash bars yet. I have thought about pulling them, and painting them black but I know the second I do, the bike will take a nap.

Tonight, I need to make a punch list. Little things that I might forget like pull the right speaker and put the blind nut back in place for the right hand mirror (it's loose and I think the nut is out of place).

I'm still waiting on a big 'ol box of parts for it, and A just ordered polished valve covers and intake runners for it. I can't wait to see how those are going to look on the ol' girl.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 am

I've always wondered why there were extra timing marks on the Right cam pulley. Well, someone on the Naked forum said that they used the same pulley on the Accord and that may explain it. I always thought it might have something to do with static ignition timing. Anyway.. Just thought I would pass that along.

I got a box full of parts last night and I can't wait to start putting them on. I will be doing a video of the goodies, shortly. I'm really excited about getting the ol' girl back on the road.

--Ray
and the Urban Madness team!

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

wounded wing update

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Well,

I changed the oil and the coolant... and she cracked off about the second revolution with no choke. YUP, She's running!... Now to address all the other stuff that's been torn up. Found a coolant leak that needs to be addressed. It's leaking at the water pump inlet but not from the weephole. I'm thinking the gasket may be bad, or it's some coolant from the hose, but the hose seems dry.... it's a mystery. My plan of action at this point, is to change the inlet gaskets and o-rings and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then it looks like it's gonna be a long day replacing the waterpump. I'm gonna get a bucket of simple green and a scrub brush and clean up the bottom of the sump, and front of the engine, as it's a complete mess... Oil and coolant, making this wonderful sludge that's just well, ugly...

I need to hook the compressor back up. The interm owner decided that when he unplugged something,that it didn't really need it. So as of now, the onboard air isn't working. Not a real big deal, as it is an electrical, wiring issue. So, I'm gonna order a hitachi connector kit, and build a harness for the compressor, and that harness will come down under the seat and give power to the LED's I'm installing in the "new" wiker flaps on the bottom of the saddle bags.

I have my polished valve covers and intake runners, ready, just waiting on o-rings and gaskets. This will really dress up the old girl. I still need a rear brake caliper or else I'm gonna theaten to rebuild it. I think it's hanging up and wearing the rear brake pads.

In the four months he had it, he really put a hurting on the ol' girl. Took it for a test ride, and it's not the same bike. It rattles more, it brakes worse, and is just in general, a complete mess on the road. I think it just needs to be sorted out, and it will be fine, when I got it, it wasn't great, but by the time I got rid of it, it was pretty good. I'm still pissed he was able to really mess it up in such a short time.

Anyone know how to cut down a windshield? Still going back and forth about paint....

It reminds me of when the Enterprise came back to space port after the Battle with Khan.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

wounded wing update

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Quick parts update

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 pm

There are a couple of threads on how to cut a windshield..basically fine toothed jigsaw, go slow, use tape along the cut path..polish the edge with a dremmel.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:51 pm

Did you find the left fairing cover? I have a brand new one that has the snaps on 3 sides.
1 snap on the top
1 snap on the bottom
3 snaps on the left side.

They made 3 or 4 different covers for these bikes.

urbanmadness
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:19 pm

I ended up with the whole pocket.

What is really disappointing is that I may have to change a water pump.

I also need to sort out the rear brakes and rewire the air compressor for the suspension. It's totally amazing how much damage someone who doesn't care, can do in 4 months to a bike.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”