Fan switch testing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Fan switch testing

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi fella's I am one of those guys that comes up with other ways of doing things,,,,, Why???? Because I'm the Beave... :lol: :lol: Testing your fan switch...... we all know that if you unplug the fan switch and place a wire to the female part of the plug the fan to each other it should go on, that's a great way to test the fan....
I have read of many guys removing the switch and placing it on the stove and heat it up and testing it using a Ohm meter fastened to the two ends, or probes ,,,
see it should show like zero or perhaps 1 ohm until the water/antifreeze your heating reaches the correct temp the meter gets active at a certain temp......Right right. :shock: :shock: ...Well I'm here to explain to you guys a much better and easier way to test the switch,,, Get two wires about 12" to 18" long with alligator clips on each end and clip them to the back of the fan switch then fasten the Ohm meter to the clips, I covered my clips in tape just because, then fire the bike up and lay the multimeter or ohm meter on the floor and watch it, when it gets around half way up on the gauge
the numbers should come on, should be like 2.3 ohms or something like that, this means your switch is fine....This could be really helpful to someone wanting to see if their switch is working fine..... Why take it off the bike if you don't need to....That makes no sense to me..... Rock on dudes... :lol: I was reading that some guys were putting their switches in oil and such on the stove, you can see why I think this is funny now right...LOL there's always another way of doing things..

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Fan switch testing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:02 am

All true Bud but if you unhook the connector at the sensor/switch and jump the terminals with the key on and the fan runs that eliminates everything but the switch and the switch connections.Pretty quick and easy.No multi-meter required.

BTW I believe that some of the sensors had one terminal.In this case just ground that wire with the key on for the same results.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:36 am

I was scratching my head on this one, I hotwired it and the fan came on, so the switch is bad I thought, so I decided to test the switch anyhow as mentioned and it was fine... Hummmm then I got a light on the plug and I noticed the wire at the back of the plug was still connected but not very well, a small movement and it was no good.... I am removing the plug and replacing with another... but the switch is good...

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:27 pm

So as you guys figured, those wires are short, getting my large hands in there to refasten these wires properly is next to impossible so out the carbs come for a good cleaning and go over :lol: This is the easiest way to attach the wires by the heat shield,, it's done and I have a good connection again... Man alive, I was at a loss on this until I saw the wire, how can it kick on the fan???? I mean when hard wiring the plug???? I guess it was making contact in that position but when plugged in it wasn't doing so well.... 99% of the time it's the switch when this happens, this was a lesson learned for me....Wow.... :shock: Oh and Yes I soldered the wires then covered with shrinkwrap...I taped over that for added protection.. :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”