1980 GL1100 Wiring Problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Nomad_55
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

1980 GL1100 Wiring Problem

Postby Nomad_55 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:19 pm

When I bought my bike a few years ago I found the PO had done some pretty bad wiring which I was able to fix. Everything worked fine. About three years ago I had to replace the speedometer and I've had problems ever since and I'm a bit stumped. I haven't been able to work on the bike for the past two years because of family issues taking precedence so I've forgotten a lot. First the temp and gas gauge stopped working. I figured it was the 7-volt regulator and recently bought one of the after market ones and installed it. Still didn't work. Second, after replacing the speedometer the brake light will not work with the hand brake, but works fine with the foot brake. While I was trying to troubleshoot the wiring I noticed that when I turned the bike on I heard a sizzling coming from the gas sensor on the tank. Pulled it and checked and yes, it's overheating. Pulled the red wire on the 7-volt regulator and it stopped. Sat down to think about what could have happened had I not noticed it so I thought I'd take another long break and check here.

As careful as I was I must have either connected two of the wires in the front incorrectly at some point or maybe I've got a short somewhere. I did take pictures of the wiring three years ago but it's not showing me what I want. What I don't have are good quality pictures of the gauge bus frame wiring...thinking maybe I didn't properly connect the new regulator to the right post.

If anyone has any ideas or can send me a high quality picture of the gauge bus frame wiring I'd appreciate it. As much as I love this bike I'm at a point where I'm tired of messing with it and on the verge of parting it out on e-bay...something I know I'd regret later.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 1980 GL1100 Wiring Problem

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 am

Not sure what a gauge bus frame it but

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Nomad_55

Postby Nomad_55 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks. I've been using that wiring diagram for some time and it's been spot on. This time however I've probably crossed something because I wasn't paying attention or another problem has developed and I'm baffled. I just need to take a day, sit down, and take my time, wire-by-wire, and verify the connections. The gauge bus frame is where the wiring is for the fuel & temp gauges, speedometer and tach, 7-volt regulator, etc. I'll figure it out eventually but for the moment it's frustrating.

Nomad_55

Postby Nomad_55 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 am

Well, it only shows what you can do when you calm down, have a couple beers, take a couple days to reflect, have a couple more beers and then calmly tackle the problem again.

Simply, I got the wiring problem fixed. I had to repair a couple of broken wires, cleaned up some contacts, and corrected one error. I also discovered the Previous Owner apparently installed a front master cylinder and brake that was not originally on the GL1100. I figured the brake switch on the front was bad and when I looked in the service manual it didn't match. I went to order a new one only to find that the 1980 GL1100 brake switch looked nothing like the one that was on my bike! I ordered it anyway because I needed it and adapted it to work. So now everything works; gauges, lights, and I'm ready for my state vehicle inspection so I can get my new tags and enjoy the warmer weather...after the coming rain stops at the end of the week. Guess I'll just take some time to reflect and have a couple of beers.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”