rebuilt starter not engaging

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
newomij
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

rebuilt starter not engaging

Postby newomij » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:35 pm

I just did the starter rebuild using the DIY forum here and, until today, it's been working flawlessly. Turned it over this morning and the bike started but died after a few seconds, which is normal without choking. Hit the starter button again and all I get is spin. In the past, it would finally grab at the end of the spin. Not this time. A dozen attempts and nothing but spin. What's up?

1982 Aspencade.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: rebuilt starter not engaging

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Not the starter but the starter clutch..if the pins and rollers are gummed up in the starter clutch they can't/won't activate and engage the engine. cold weather adds to the condition. Solution is to clean/rebuild the starter clutch..or drain a quart of oil, add a quart of solvent..sea foam, or similar run easy for a 100 miles and that may clean out the goo..or pull the engine and rebuild it OR...drill a hole in the case at a special place ad a port and then you can stick a straw into the start clutch area and spray clean the rollers and springs.

Of course this is assuming the starter chain is correctly installed.

I have pics for the last option of where to drill.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: rebuilt starter not engaging

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:12 pm

newomij wrote:I just did the starter rebuild using the DIY forum here and, until today, it's been working flawlessly. Turned it over this morning and the bike started but died after a few seconds, which is normal without choking. Hit the starter button again and all I get is spin. In the past, it would finally grab at the end of the spin. Not this time. A dozen attempts and nothing but spin. What's up?

1982 Aspencade.

This has been talked about so many times here, a search would have found tons of information. Click on this for your answer:

http://goldwingdocs.com/SearchSite.asp? ... &sa=Search

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”