Turnsigal switch moved on turn key on switch cancels

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
twoshay
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100 standard

Turnsigal switch moved on turn key on switch cancels

Postby twoshay » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Have 83 stadard gl 1100 wing ,have had trouble with turn signal cancel,pulled vetter fairing and storage tank,i turned on turn signal switch to on and turn key switch on ,Turnsigal switch went to off position,any ideas?????

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Turnsigal switch moved on turn key on switch cancels

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 pm

If I read this right,you have a mechanically operated cancer system.
Under normal conditions,with the bike running...you would turn on the turn signal...the solenoid mechanism under the turn signal switch would hold the lever in position...when the cancer circuit decides to cancel your turn signal,it briefly energizes the solenoid releasing the lever..Springs in the turn signal switch assembly return the switch to mechanical center....

What I did notice on my 1100 with this system,the cancer solenoid would "cycle" or energize briefly when the key was first turned on.
It seemed to be by design.
Simply turn on your key first and then operate the turn signal switch.It should stay in that position till its cancled.

NOTE :::If the turn signal switch will not stay in either turn position the solenoid may be continously energized from a defective cancer module.
Fortunately it can be unplugged and not affect the turn signal operation...other than it won't self cancle.

twoshay
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100 standard

Re: Turnsigal switch moved on turn key on switch cancels

Postby twoshay » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 pm

So I got farther with my issue so here is what I did,i have access to wires at headlight( have vetter fairing removed it and storage tank,i found angle sensor wires,,turn key to on,with blinker on, black wire with yellow tracer, took,test light,hooked to battery ground,took probe left blinker on wheel straight, tap b/yell wire shuts off turn wheel left same wire blinker on tap same wire shuts off right blinker on doesn't work when wheel straight but turn to right tap blk/yell wire shuts off ,is this bad angle sensor or cntrl box,?????? Also thank you for prevous info,, this is mechanical turn signal 1983 standard gl 1100,

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”