83 GL1100A, LED running lights

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

83 GL1100A, LED running lights

Postby DaveDanger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:04 pm

I've been researching aftermarket lighting for my Wing and now that I've pretty well decided what I'm doing headlight-wise... I'm delving even further into the darkness of replacing (possibly) all the other lighting on the bike with LED's (Turn signals, tail/brake lights, etc). I do have a Markland lighting kit on the bike that has small teardrop shaped lights fore and aft that I'd like to replace the bulbs in as well.

My primary thought is to reduce the amperage load on my charging system while increasing my visibility at the same time.

My first question arises as to sourcing... My Son has had good luck with superbrightleds.com as a source for off-road lighting and I looked at their catalog products, noting that they do have a section devoted to motorcycles. Does anyone else have a source they'd recommend?

My second question arises from reading on the SBL website... they recommend an inline resistor (6 ohm, 50 watt) to EACH LED light installed. That seems to me, to be wiping out any possible charging system advantages I gain by use of the LED bulbs in the first place. Comments?

My third question arises from general conversation I've read online about turn signal flashers and LED bulbs... Apparently the standard flasher units may not necessarily play well with LED's. I have a relatively brand new (OEM/analog/mechanical?)flasher unit (purchased with blood, tears and much gnashing of teeth, from Mother Honda), that I'd hate to replace already with yet another flasher. Any info on this is appreciated.

DD

A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 83 GL1100A, LED running lights

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:53 am

DaveDanger wrote:My first question arises as to sourcing... My Son has had good luck with superbrightleds.com as a source for off-road lighting and I looked at their catalog products, noting that they do have a section devoted to motorcycles. Does anyone else have a source they'd recommend?

There are vast numbers of LED vendors...and while SuperbrightLEDs has for the most part slightly higher prices than most of the no-name eBay sellers you'll find, their products are generally of a higher quality, and they stand behind them - I've had a couple fail, and they replaced them, no questions asked.

DaveDanger wrote:My second question arises from reading on the SBL website... they recommend an inline resistor (6 ohm, 50 watt) to EACH LED light installed. That seems to me, to be wiping out any possible charging system advantages I gain by use of the LED bulbs in the first place. Comments?

Those inline resistors are only used when installing turn signals with a conventional flasher. The reason for this is that LEDs don't draw enough current to properly actuate the mechanical flashers. Some advanced bulb failure detection systems in modern vehicles will also trigger when they see an LED, for the same reason. You don't need to bother with these on your GL1100.

DaveDanger wrote:My third question arises from general conversation I've read online about turn signal flashers and LED bulbs... Apparently the standard flasher units may not necessarily play well with LED's. I have a relatively brand new (OEM/analog/mechanical?)flasher unit (purchased with blood, tears and much gnashing of teeth, from Mother Honda), that I'd hate to replace already with yet another flasher. Any info on this is appreciated.

Yes. You'll need to put an electronic flasher in. Any automotive electronic flasher will work, [url=http://www.amazon.com/3-Pin-CF-13-Electronic-Flasher-Signal/dp/B008C9YJ6C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456933949&sr=8-4&tag=goldwingdocs-20]this one from Amazon,[url] only $10, will work just fine.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”