Accessory power issue.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DCoxson1969
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Accessory power issue.

Postby DCoxson1969 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 am

I have had a new problem come up. When I first turn the key, all the lights on the dash light up as normal. I started the bike and after a few minutes it starts to run ruff, then shuts off. At that point there are no dash lights or accessory power. I checked the main fuse and it is fine, sends the 12 volts to the regulator but no accessory power out. After letting it set for a short time, the lights and power come back. Is that telling me the regulator is going or should I look at something else?

FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Accessory power issue.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:11 am

I would look at your fuses, including the main dogbone fuse. Fuses do wear out - I had this problem on my 1100, and even though the fuses looked OK, when I actually pulled them out, they fell apart in my hands. The glue holding the metal ends to the glass had hardened and died over the years. I replaced ALL the fuses, and the problem went away.

This is also a very common symptom of a failing dogbone (master) fuse. It develops cracks from old age, and when the bike heats up, it expands enough that the cracks open up and current stops. Remove it to check it (mine turned to powder in my fingers when I removed it). You might also want to replace it with a 30 amp blade fuse and holder, which will be more reliable and easier to maintain (lots of info on this here, if you do a search).

DCoxson1969

Postby DCoxson1969 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Already has the blade fuse and checks good. Power is making it to the regulator/rectifier on the wires coming in from the battery but loose it on the black wire going to the switch and supplying power to all the fuses under the false tank. Sometimes it is there, sometimes not. I loose it after a few minutes of running. Going to check the output of the stator and the connector for the three yellow wires when I get home.

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:59 pm

The plug with the yellow wires for stator is usally bad and replace with soldering wires direct and doing away with the plug.
Have you checked the black wire coming out of the regulator/rectifier with test light when the bike is running to be shore your loosing power at the black wire. Have you cleaned the connectors in the regulator/rectifier plug.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:25 pm

DCoxson1969 wrote:Already has the blade fuse and checks good. Power is making it to the regulator/rectifier on the wires coming in from the battery but loose it on the black wire going to the switch and supplying power to all the fuses under the false tank. Sometimes it is there, sometimes not. I loose it after a few minutes of running. Going to check the output of the stator and the connector for the three yellow wires when I get home.

OK - the black wire is not going from the regulator to the switch - it's going from the switch TO the regulator. Solid red wire denotes power on at all times (i.e. connected to the battery), solid black denotes switched power - +12V only when the ignition is in the ON position.

When you switch the ignition to ON, power runs through that black wire to the regulator, which "turns it on" as well as giving it a reference value, so that it can determine the state of charge of the battery, and know how much charging to perform.

A couple things could be going on here. If it runs "rough" it could indicate low voltage, i.e. not enough voltage to create strong spark. I would measure voltage at the battery, before you start, right after you start, and then most importantly, when it is running rough.

Do check the yellow stator wires for voltage as well.

DCoxson1969

Postby DCoxson1969 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Will do that when I get home, thank you.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”