Running light bars & LEDs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Running light bars & LEDs

Postby echinus1988 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi all,

My question concerns LEDs and light bars.

I have a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade with the light bars around the back. The light bulbs are #1895 and there are 18 of them.

I want to replace with LEDs but can't find the answer to a question.

If I am reading right, I need to have a resistor in place with the bulbs to have them work and last. No resistor will burn out the LEDs. I have found the resistors and the LED bulbs but do I need on resistor at the input of the power to the lights (just one in line with the LEDs) or do I need a resistor for each bulb on the light bar (18 resistors, each paired in parallel with a LED)? If only one, do I need to increase the resistor size?

Thank you for your help. You guys always come through!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Running light bars & LEDs

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:53 am

echinus1988 wrote:Hi all,

My question concerns LEDs and light bars.

I have a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade with the light bars around the back. The light bulbs are #1895 and there are 18 of them.

I want to replace with LEDs but can't find the answer to a question.

If I am reading right, I need to have a resistor in place with the bulbs to have them work and last. No resistor will burn out the LEDs. I have found the resistors and the LED bulbs but do I need on resistor at the input of the power to the lights (just one in line with the LEDs) or do I need a resistor for each bulb on the light bar (18 resistors, each paired in parallel with a LED)? If only one, do I need to increase the resistor size?

Thank you for your help. You guys always come through!

It depends.

Many LEDs that are intended for automotive applications already have the resistor (or equivalent) built into it.

Component LEDs will require resistors to be added.

If you replace the #1895 light bulbs with LED replacements intended to replace 1895 bulbs, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Lights- ... ingdocs-20

You will not need resistors - you just plug the LED in place of the bulb, and it works.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”