83 GL1100A electrical system NEW problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

83 GL1100A electrical system NEW problem

Postby DaveDanger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Odd thing happened a few minutes ago. Rode the bike home from work tonight so I could do an after-dark run to check out all my new LED lights for aim & brightness. Finished dinner and went outside and cranked the bike to let it warm up a few minutes while I pulled on a jacket. It had been running about 30 seconds when it shut off as quickly as if I'd turned off the key switch. No sputter, no stumble, just instantly shut down.
I turned the key off and back on, the starter does nothing, no click, no turn, nothing. All the lights work, the horn works, the radio works. The starter does nothing. I checked the easy to access fuses under the front fuel tank cover, no problems there. I understand there's a couple of high amperage fuses that are primary power for the starter and ignition? I've never had to access them for anything to this point, so don't even know where they're located. Anyone provide me a quick point-out while I round up what tools I'll need to get into this?

Any info appreciated,

DD

A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

DaveDanger

Re: 83 GL1100A electrical system NEW problem

Postby DaveDanger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:58 pm

I had a thought after posting this a while ago... Thinking over the way it acted, it seemed like the starter did nothing, exactly the way it would if the engine were in gear. I went back to the bike, turned on the key and noted the neutral light was illuminated (I'm pretty sure it was also illuminated earlier when it wouldn't crank). I squeezed the clutch lever and toed the shifter into first gear (neutral light went out), then hit the starter button and it cranked fine. I shifted it back into neutral and let it sit there running for a bit. No further problems. Rode it around the block and checked out my LED headlight and running lights, all good.
I habitually park the bike in neutral, and always crank it exactly that way, (standing to the side, not on the bike) key on, verify neutral light is on, hit the starter (without pulling the clutch lever) and allow it to warm up as necessary while I get dressed for my ride. I've never had a neutral light on while it was in gear (or had it in gear while the neutral light was on), but I didn't think to attempt to roll it first tonight to see if it was actually in gear. Odd.
Any ideas?
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:15 am

I don't think the problems are related. First off, the starter has no fuse - it draws a massive amount of current, and is connected directly to the battery through the starter relay.

It's possible the master (dogbone) fuse is failing - that's a fairly simple thing to check. But the fact that the headlight, radio, etc. were still on would seem to rule that out.

You might have a dirty/failing kill switch, but that won't stop it from cranking.

At this point I'm going to suggest a wait-and-see - wait and see if it happens again, and closely monitor the conditions (neutral light, etc.) when it happens.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 am

These do sound unrelated but you can inspect the start solenoid 4 wire connector for corrosion and to the left of the battery,a 4 wire connector from the pulse coils.I do know that just a little corrosion there will kill the ignition intermittently. Might as well look at the 3 yellow wires too.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks Virgilmobile, I will take a look at those connectors at work today. My "three yellow wires" have been gone thru and repaired. I actually hpaced a few photos of that repair on a post here from several months back. That solved a heap of charging system weirdness.

My son has a Shadow 750, maybe an 09 model that I believe I'm possibly confusing with my 83 GL1100A on a specific feature... while on his bike, regardless of the gear it's in, if you push the side stand down, a switch shuts off the engine, even while holding the clutch. I think my Wing won't do that, but it's been in my head that something like that is what happened to shut my engine off so suddenly last night. To the best of my knowledge, there is no sidestand switch on the 83 model, but seems if it had tried to jump into gear that way, the bike would have lurched forward and fallen into its side. It never moved at all, just shut down.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:25 am

I mentioned the 4 wire connector because on my 83,while idling, I just touched the pulse coil plug and the engine died.2 of the connections had white corrosion on them.
As far as it not even clicking the start solenoid...check for the same problem..could even be the start button contacts dirty.
Understand that were guessing from here.Intermittent are hard to find but you can eliminate possible known problems.
Connectors and switch contacts seem to be the weakest link.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Following up... After cranking the engine subsequent to shifting in and out of gear, it has never happened again.
I honestly believe that there was a transient signal from the gear indicator/shifting circuit that told the bike that it was no longer in neutral, or something along that line. At any rate, it cranks fine every time now, like it always has except for that one odd instance.

Thanks all for the input.

DD

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”