Hello again! Seeking help :-)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
processing
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

Hello again! Seeking help :-)

Postby processing » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks to great help from all of you I was able to change my timing belt, set the valves and much more. BUT now My gl 1100 will not idle...not under 2 500RPM Plus It does not hold RPMs steady. it goes up and down. I think I can really sync carbs if it does not hold idle. "All" i did was change the timing belt and adjusted the valves. BUT, I set the exhaust to 0.15 mm instead of 0.13. I culd not find the proper gage - small city in Czech repulic...:-). Could that be it? I also heard you cannot adjust firing timing on gl 1100? is that right? ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated as always.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Hello again! Seeking help :-)

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:27 am

Did the bike idle properly before you did the other work?If it did,review everything you worked on.You mentioned "much more" List them please.Do double check the timing belt marks..they must be exactly right.Not even one tooth off.Recheck the valve lash.Please..by the book when you rotate the engine to the "T" mark.Don't take a chance that the cam is in the wrong position.Your valve setting(if properly on the can) is close enough.It might make a bit more noise than normal but rather that than too tight.
First fix the idle.You mention that it will not idle below 2500 rpm.Does it simply die off if you try to idle it down or is it stuck at 2500 and no lower?
Stuck at a high idle can be the choke keeping it up or the throttle not closing.
If it won't run below 2500 and simply dies off,you may be suffering from plugged slow speed jets...no fuel.
the ignition timing is adjustable...although generally is never needed.It was set and secured at the factory.Even if the mechanical and vacuum advance should be bad,the fixed timing is good for proper idling.

processing

Postby processing » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:40 am

Yes did idle before. Not sure what the RPMs were but it did idle. It was making sometimes funny noise and after I did the timing belt and valves it seems to run better. I was very precise (i think) when doing the timing belt and valves...The UP is up and the arrow on the cam shaft points to the right/left side on the flange. Based on all feedback I'm getting it must be to fuel the idle jets. But on 1980 they very hard to get to plus they are like warm screws (not sure how to say it in English) and not like regular screws with hexagonal heads. The carburetor is held on the engine only with the intake screws is that correct? I'm thinking of soaking it and cleaning it. when the engine is hot it idles around 2500. But it doesn't hold steady it goes up and down 500 rpm's. Slowly but it fluctuates. when the engine is hot I don't need the choke correct? The reason why I'm asking is because it is broken and I have to hold it with my hand. not a big deal I'll fix that. Oh one more thing. The guy who polishes stuff for my bike lost the plug on the engine crankcase where you see the T1/F1 marks. so I put plastic plug in there to prevent oil from spraying around but it has no perfect seal. That would not be a problem would it? It wouldn't suck "wrong" vacuum or anything like that ?
Thanks a million.

processing

Postby processing » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:56 am

This is my idle screw - on 1980 gl 1100 ...can i somehow remove them (special angled tool I guess) clean them and put back?
Attachments

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 am

No problem with the temporary plug.Did you have the carbs off(the 8 bolts hold them on).if they were loosened,you may have a leak where they bolt to the head( "O") ring or forgot to tighten the clamps where the carbs attach to the rubber mount.Broken choke is OK if the choke lever stays closed.

processing

Postby processing » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:51 am

Hello everybody
looks like I'll be working on my bike for quite some time. I changed the fuel filter to improve the idle, it did little bit I think. But when idling it goes from 2000 to 3000 RPMs or it goes below 2000 RPM and dies.. So it will not keep the idle steady at all. Other very serious thing I found out today is that when I ride and shift up and release the throttle quickly the RPMs will not go down for about 1.5 seconds, so when I press the clutch to shift up the engine kind of screams for two seconds and then I can shift up or down. Is my gas throttle stuck or something? But when I keep idling and revving the engine up the RPMs go back pretty quickly, sometimes too quickly that it dies. My clutch definitely needs adjustment too. Plus my front brake calipers keep stucking. I pulled them apart cleaned everything with fine sandpaper, the cylinders, changed the brake fluid but today they got stucked. I smelled the brake pads as it was very hot of course.
Anyone willing to help me out here?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:43 am

First idle screw has nothing to do with idle jets..two different things. the picture is not your idle screws but your air mixture screws which is actually a gas mixture screw adds more gas at idle speeds. Yep there is a special tool to adjust the "air" screws.

And even this may need a small adjustment to get it on the screw head..filing down part of collar..on the tool.

As to your brake calipers..the issue is most likely in your master there is a very small return hole in the master at it's base..right next to a slightly larger hole. If the small hole is blocked fluid can't return to the mater so your brake pads stay engaged. there are several threads on this with pics..search sponge hole maybe or master cylinder?? It's the same for the rear and front masters. A quick way to check is to open the bleeder valve for a second if the brake releases that's your issue. Note put a tube on the bleeder to catch the brake fluid.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”