Seized Engines- What are my options?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Seized Engines- What are my options?

Postby Tony-OP92 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey everybody!

Been a member for a few months now but this is my first post, so I hope I include enough information.

Let me start off by saying that I've searched through the topics and haven't been able to find much for my specific question, so I hope someone out there can help me. I have an 82 GL1100 that was given to me last fall. At that point it was a running bike. Then the starter went bad and so I decided it would be my project over the winter to take the whole bike apart, clean and inspect everything, and put it back together. Fast forward to last weekend- I get the bike completely back together. New starter, new solenoid, cleaned plugs, connections, battery and cables. The last thing I need to do is just fill the gas tank, add oil, and clean the cooling system. So I add some gas, put the recommended amount of 10W-40 in, and fill the radiator with water to flush the system. So I do this and the bike starts! It had a rough idle because the carbs hadn't been sync'd but I pull it to half choke and it runs. About a minute into letting the bike warm up I hear this horrible loud bang and the bike stops. After that nothing. No clicking in the starter or anything....

I take the spark plugs out and they all look fine. No rust, no oil and minimal carbon.
I keep the plugs out and put the bike into gear and try and push it forward, nothing.
I put the bike on it's center stand and put it in second gear and try rotating the back tire, nothing.
I pull the rubber boot back on the final drive and try rotating the U-joint, wont budge.
So I'm pretty sure my engine has seized, probably due to running dry and/or overheating.

Anything I've seen on fixing seized engines has to do with them sitting for long periods of time with rust build up in the cylinders. Mystery oil and brake fluid seem to work for that issue. But what about when the bike has been running? Does oil or another type of lubricant work? Is there anything I can do without taking the whole bike apart again? Do I need to do a top end rebuild? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much. :)

Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: Seized Engines- What are my options?

Postby Maz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:22 pm

I see no mention of the timing belts being changed. It's quite possible one has snapped/jumped a few teeth and pistons have had an intimate meeting with valves. Remove belt covers first to check.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Remember, this is an interference engine. That is, the valves and pistons occupy the same space at different times. Sounds like they met each other and have become inseparable friends.

Take the timing covers off and check the timing marks. If they don't line up. UH OH.

Check the DIY for changing the timing belts, gives you all the instruction you need.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm

You pull the heads and see is that allows you to turn the engine..or just back off all the valves..but if one is bent and stuck in it will still block the piston and lock the engine. If that happened..if you are lucky the pistons are ok and just bent valve if not then time for a new tear it apart and finding parts is tough..basically bearing shims are not available..and to break it down and not replace them is not a wise choice.

I do have a set of pistons in good shape..some rings would have to pried out but the rods and pistons are good. $80.

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Sorry off topic:

What are bearing shims?
Can you put a pic of them on?
I have 2 engines that both are half torn down. If I have something In those engines that someone could use I 'll tear em on down.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:21 pm

If the motor is seized and confirmed to be junk, another motor can be had for a reasonable price.
Its not worth the expense, not to mention the effort, entailed to do a total rebuild.
The shims are used to balance axial tolerances attributable to production manufacturing differences.
Yours have been mated to your motor over the years and it would be doubtful if these would work on a different engine.
However, I am far from an expert and maybe someone else can shed some light on this. Regards, Johnny

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”