Unsolved problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Ranisal
Motorcycle: 1982 Gold wing
1979 Yamaha xt 500

Unsolved problem

Postby Ranisal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:33 am

HI
I have a 1982 goldwing
In the past few months I'm having a problem that I can't fix, and I tried everything all ready. ..
Spark plug #4 is sooty, and after a few days of working, I have to replace it if I want the bike to run as it should.
Here is what I did so far. ..
Carb rebuild with ranndak set, didn't solved the problem.
So I bought a new set of carb, and after that replaces the coils, and than the apartment plag wires, and after that an head gasket, and valve's....
I'm having good compression (+ 160)
Im about to give upeople.
Am I missing something?
Any help would be appropriate....
Tnx
Rani

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Unsolved problem

Postby wingman12 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:51 am

Good morning Rani, is your sooty plug oil or gas wet? It sounds like the air/fuel needle not set correctly?
Did you sync the carbs? :D :D

Ranisal
1979 Yamaha xt 500

Postby Ranisal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:02 am

Hi
I did sync the carbs, new needels....
It's a dry black carbon on the plag, and it appear very fast, more or less a 100 mile after I'm replacing the spark plug..
Rani

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:01 am

Rani, I figured you did the carb sync but you did not mention so I thought I would check with you to eliminate another possibility. I checked in the hoe to do section for the 1100 on this site ( hoe to read your plugs) and here is what I found. I hope it will help.
Symptoms: Dry, sooty deposits indicating a rich mixture or weak ignition. Causes misfiring, hard starting and hesitation. Make sure the plug has the correct heat range. Check for a clogged air filter or problem in the fuel system. Also check for ignition system problems.

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=2211#ixzz44gYKkCtR :D :D

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:11 pm

wingman12 wrote:Symptoms: Dry, sooty deposits indicating a rich mixture or weak ignition. Causes misfiring, hard starting and hesitation. Make sure the plug has the correct heat range. Check for a clogged air filter or problem in the fuel system. Also check for ignition system problems.

Regarding the weak ignition symptom, I found in this and other forums information regarding doing a change to the coil 12VDC supply. The negative side of the coil (where he wires are connected - on my '85 LTD) is the wire from the kill switch. This is a small gauge wire that supplies 12 VDC to other items as well, and with an older bike, the 12 VDC signal could actually be significantly less than 12 VDC - read where it has been as low as 10 VDC. The coils need a good 12 VDC supply to operate effectively and efficiently. Some people have installed 1500 coils that provide a hotter spark and some have installed a relay system that provides a 12 VDC supply direct from the battery, that allows the coils to operate at optimum. I did the relay mod for the cols and for my reg/rec as well. Here is a schematic of the relay mod for the coils:

The relay is an inexpensive 30-40 amp auto relay and once installed, you would never know it was done. I have also read where you can widen the plug gap but i have not tried it as yet.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Ranisal
1979 Yamaha xt 500

Postby Ranisal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Tnx wingman, i replaced the coil, It didn't help.
If I'm having a coils problem, it should affect on two cylinders, my problem is always in number 4.
Rani

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:39 am

Good morning Ransil, I agree with you concerning the coils. #4 has a rich fuel problem. I know you not only did a rebuild on the carbs and even purchased another set. By chance did you use the same jets in both sets? Are the jets from mother Honda or aftermarket? How about the float bowl settings? Perhaps there is an issue with the float needle seat having a scratch in it and allows fuel to seep past the needle. There is an issue with the air/fuel mixture needle. Many possibilities, but at least better rich instead of to lean. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable wing experts will jump in and offer additional suggestions for solving your problem. :D :D

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Agree with checking float valves. You can pull the slide of number 4 after taking out all eight bolts of the intake horns. With the slide out, you should be able dry out the throat, turn the fuel on and watch down the throat. You need decent light. It is likely that you'll see fuel seeping up through the jets indicating a leaking float valve, but watch closely to see if it first comes from the plenum direction. That would indicate a leak at the carb-to-plenum connection or in the plenum itself. To see if it's the plenum connection, fuel off, dry the floor of the plenum off, put a piece of paper in the floor, turn fuel on and watch where it gets wet first. Along the centre line indicates the plenum seal, from the side indicates carb-to-plenum seal.

Randakk and others recommend oem float valves and seats. Failure to stop this leak and forgetting to shut the fuel off can result in a bent rod. Ask how I know.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”