1982 Restoration / Engine Problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

1982 Restoration / Engine Problems

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 am

I have been recording some of my restoration project in the Classic Gold Wing site. http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=10902 site and I wanted to run my problems by everyone on this forum. I have replaced the motor with one with around 22,000 miles. I had some coolant leak problems initially that was due to an uneven head. That was fixed. I have replaced the clutch, stator, new timing belts and have done a single carb conversion. Almost every maintenance item has been done.

I decided to do a SCC when I started reading about it and having some clanking from the motor that I felt was due to the stock carbs needing synched. I still have that noise. My compression test was in the 30s on #1 and 102 on #3. 2 and 4 were 120. (Done correctly with throttle wide open) I had originally set the valve clearance and figured I did it wrong as it was my first attempt at that, but the valves were set fine. I pulled the head (right side) Here are pictures:

The cylinder bores are nice and smooth. I know that it may be hard to diagnose problems with these pictures, but one poster on the classic site thought that a valve on #1 looked to be a bit open. I filled the combustion chamber with 3 in 1 oil and it does indeed leak. Number 3 did not.

My main question would this problem make the motor clunky sounding, cause such low compression? Also, what to think about the lower compression in #3? Your thoughts?

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1982 GL100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay) 1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Re: 1982 Restoration / Engine Problems

Postby LittleGoldy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:53 pm

Jack, Sure wish I could be of some help here. There are others far more educated about the engine issue than I. Thought I would bump you up so someone could see it perhaps. Good Luck
You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek:

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Have you had the valves lapped? This will help on low compression. My second thought would be that a differential cylinder leak test would be in order.
As for the clanking noise a carb sync may help (after leak test and valve lapping.) What do your spark plugs look like? (pics please) You can learn a lot from the lowly spark plug :ugeek: !
If the noise tends to persist, could be a bent connecting rod, or perhaps a worn crank bearing (shim).
Let us know what you come across. Regards, Johnny

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Low compression #1 will make it clanking sound.
I had same thing on my one gl1100 last summer clanking bad. Check my compression and only had 70lbs compression. Its been laying on bench waiting to be work on. My are stuck rings. Because I move heads and carb rack to another motor and runs good no clanking.
I would lap the valves and see what that does.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”