strange clutch and up shifting issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
processing
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

strange clutch and up shifting issue

Postby processing » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 am

Hello everybody
thanks all for your help but I have another tricky problem, which I hoped to solve by changing the timing belt, adjusting valves, cleaning the carbs (jets were blank dirty with gum), but unfortunately it still persists. When I rev her up while riding, gear engaged, above 3500 rpm or more and then press the clutch the RPMs go widely up. It happens every time I try to upshift. When downshifting it happens as well but I feel not so much. Looks like the clutch is stuck or something and when I press the clutch it releases the load on the engine allowing the RPMs to go up.... I have to be very careful when upshifting because when I release the clutch the RPMs go up and I feel the gear teeth touching -when shifting. It only happens when she's in gear. If I idle I can go all the way up and release the throttle and RPM goes back down almost immediately as it should I suppose. Any ideas?

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: strange clutch and up shifting issue

Postby robb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:39 am

Do you release the gas between shifting. Might try bleeding the clutch.

processing

Postby processing » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Oh yes. I release the clutch before shifting :-). Clutch bleeding? that would be for hydraulic right? my is still bowden....

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i interstate

Postby bruce swaybill » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:17 pm

So, you ARE releasing the throttle grip when shifting ....
Is the grip sticking open?
Are both throttle cables intact? One pulls the throttle open, the other pulls, or "pushes" the throttle closed.
Is the throttle cam where the lower end of the cables rotating in both directions?
Is the return spring at the cam broken?
You should be able to see the smooth action of these throttle components when the engine is off.
Good luck!

Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)

processing

Postby processing » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:55 am

YES I am RELEASING the throttle grip all the way when shifting. I wrote that I release the clutch ...TYPO.. ment throttle. Everything moves ráther smoothly...and I even use little twisting force to make sure that i close the throttle when releasing. These are the obvious reasons why the rpms would go up. It must be the vaccum pistons....but I checke them they move smoothly too. Will pull the carbs again and recheck everything. I was trying to find out if anyone had the same problém and what was the cause...
Thanks

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”