Newcomer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
StuGoo
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Newcomer

Postby StuGoo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Greetings.
Have had my 81 GL1100 since last fall and have done the following with some periodic rides interspersed when running correctly.
-Installed new front brake master cylinder/reservoir/lever assembly.
-Took into dealer (where one of the two local Goldwing experts now works) to have them work on lighting/short in 15amp fuse, bleed brakes professionally, change oil. Front office of dealership kept putting my bike down the list as electrical could take time so, at expert's advice, removed aftermarket dip-stick, changed oil, bled brakes.
-Goofed around with wiring for a few weeks, removing workarounds by PO's and got brake lights, turn signals and horn working correctly.
-Was having trouble with reliable starts (didn't seem like enough juice to starter to engage compression?) so got new battery and replaced plugs with NGK Irradium.
-Have run one tank with 1/2 can of Seafoam and another 3/4 tank with 1/4 can of Seafoam. Am only getting mpg in low 30's.
-The bike can run pretty well but.... As of last ride won't hold idle. Will chug and die unless throttle is held open. Additional symptom is that there is significant smoke from left side exhaust and at low idle some misfires and "klunking". I was just out there messing with it using the cold starting procedure I read on one of the posts. Had to keep throttle open to keep it running. After 5 or so minutes, there were a series of mild coughs RPM's increased and it was idling normally (for this bike). I let it idle for a while like this (2-3 minutes, and yes I had a fan blowing on the radiator) and it reverted to old symptom of chocking and dying. I did leave shuttlecock open and there was some burn-off smoke around the left exhaust manifold.

I saw a link about a air restriction diaphragm fix which I'm wondering about. While I do think synch and carb work is needed, I don't think these troubles would come and go so abruptly if this were the problem.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Newcomer

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Easiest is a quick inspection of the spark plugs...Search how to read your plugs.
Keep in mind that each plug shows how that cylinder(compression,fuel mix) is running.
You may find that all but one is good.Its possible that just one slide has stuck up.(all of a sudden too).enriching the fuel on one cylinder...The bike will run pretty good tho,just too rich.
You can verify the slide movement with a flashlight,angle mirror and watching the slides move as the throttle is operated (viewed in the bottom of the plenum box)with the engine running.A quick snap to 4000rpm usually will rise the slides half way up and back down.
Seafoam will never fix a sticking slide.They must be hand cleaned and polished.

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Welcome Stu... ditto on the seafoam, good preventative but not a fixer... Just north of Indy myself, not too far...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

StuGoo
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby StuGoo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:51 am

Thank you for your suggestions. It took me a bit to figure out what slides were but once I did I figured I'd check/clean them all. In removing the plastic box to get to the screws for the covers, I think I may have discovered the problem. I didn't have to do anything to remove the vacuum line on the right side of the box so, while I didn't verify this before the fact, I doubt the line was properly connected. The screws on the covers were not coming off so I decided to leave this for a pro as I didn't want to strip the screw head. Once I put everything back together there is a noticeable improvement. Goes to show that "it's the simple stuff stupid....."

While on the subject of vacuum, I get a fair amount of pressure build up in the gas tank. I regularly relieve this by opening the cap. This seems to be getting worse as the weather warms to the point where gas is getting pushed out from the petcock when I open it and I also noticed leaking gas around what I believe is the throttle spring area. I will look through the forum for postings on gas cap and fuel tank pressure.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”