Air cut off valve - Do I need it?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
processing
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

Air cut off valve - Do I need it?

Postby processing » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Hello everybody,
I am rebuilding the carbs on GL 1100 and everything when fine until I removed the air cut of valves on each carb. The rubber membrane on all four was rotten and disintegrating slowly polluting the entire carb I guess. I had removed them all. But being in Czech Republic special parts like that are hard to find. I need to go on eBay and wait couple weeks before I get it. Meanwhile my question is what air cut off valve does exactly and if the membrane is not there can I may be put the carbs back and ride it for a couple of weeks? I even heardthat some bikers disable air cut off valves to achieve better performance/idle or some like that?
another important question is on GL 1100 the idle jets are pressed in. How can I clean them if I cannot remove them because they totally stuck?
His picture of the air cut off valve membrane.
Attachments

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Air cut off valve - Do I need it?

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:19 pm

The purpose of the air cutoff valve is to enrichen the fuel during hard deceleration to eliminate popping.Disable it and expect loud exhaust popping every time you throttle down.
I'm sure that there a "how to" in this site on how to remove idle jets.I think some use a small sheetrock screw.

processing

Postby processing » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. I tried sheetrock screw but no luck. Is there a special diameter of I should use? and when I "screw" it in should i pull hard ? Becasue i tried reeeealy hard and nothing. What about easy-out i saw on youtube.... but here in CZech Rep. I do not think i could find it. What diameter of easy out I should use?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:56 pm

you might try boiling the carbs..big pot stick one side in for a few minutes ..then the sheet rock screw the size you need should be one that the tip goes into the jet then a half turn or so the "lock" the screw in the jet..do use any solvent as it will swell the o ring..then put the other side in..two at a time..or if you have the carbs off individual. easier to do, then boil one and try the screw. This is the only way to get then out..pulling on something stuck in the jet opening.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

processing

Postby processing » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:11 am

Thanks I found such screw plus i found easy outs here right down from my house....coool. I ll do it today. Beats me why honda did such a stupid thing....I guess they have the pureast gas in Japan....

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:05 am

Here's a link to what seems to me to be a fairly comprehensive description of the idle circuit for Keihin carburetors. It shows a decent picture of the idle jet extraction and it includes a discussion about the air cutoff valves.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/keihin_idle_circuits_white_paper.swf

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”