Tach not working correctly slow in moving

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Steamboat7404
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing

Tach not working correctly slow in moving

Postby Steamboat7404 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:27 pm

When I bought the bike the tach cable was not connected and found I needed to replace the cable. A new cable was purchased and when it was installed I found the tach reacted slow or sluggish. Any tips on how to make a fix or should I replace. Did a search and didn't find my issues.

nickmotor
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Re: Tach not working correctly slow in moving

Postby nickmotor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:37 am

I didn't have the same problem as you had. I had a tach that simply would wiggle around a bit instead of showing the engine RPM. When I pulled the tach I could not see any way to easily take it apart for repair. I picked up a used replacement tach off ebay.

The tachs are mechanical so there are some weights that are spun by the cable and the centrifugal force is harnessed mechanically to deflect the needle. Sounds like your tach has some impediment/crud slowing (or temporarily binding) the mechanical process.

I tested my tach (and the replacement) by gently place a small phillips head screw driver where the tach cable connects to and giving it a twist - basically you're mimicking what the cable does as it spins. Do very gently first if you try this. Same test on the the tach from ebay and it quickly registered 2k or 3k RPM with a twist of the handle.

spinning the tach
spinning the tach
spinning the tach
spinning the tach

if you go the replacement route it's probably a good idea to lube your cable when you have the tach off. Also be careful with the bulbs. they are on rubber holders and they pull out - you need to avoid pulling hard on the wires. Keep track of what bulb goes in each of the three holes on the rear of the tach. I think two are for illumination but the third lights up overdrive - so you don't want to mix them up. Take your time lining up the bulbs in their rubber holders when you put the tach back into position, there wasn't much extra wiring to fiddle with so you may have to get it about right then gently push the tach into position hoping that everything will seat correctly.

Steamboat7404

Postby Steamboat7404 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 am

Thank you for the advice. Took the tach of and followed your instructions. I went together pretty quick, and it is working better by still slow to react to the RPMs. I think I'll have to replace it with another.. Looks like EBAY again for parts. Thank you...

nickmotor
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby nickmotor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:19 pm

I used KANO KROIL penetrating oil to lube up the tach cable. I decided to use KROIL after I used it to free up really sticky throttle cable on the same GL1100 - it freed it up nicely. Followed up with some 3in1 oil after the KROIL only because the 3in1 container has a nice extensible applicator and made it easy to administer without making a big mess. I'm not affiliated with KANO or 3in1 - it's simply what I used and it seems to have worked pretty well.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:27 pm

My original wouldn't read at all and the needle wouldn't even move. Bought a used one off of Ebay and it was so tight it squeeled like a pig at speed and made my tach drive seal drip oil.
I finally took my original apart at the pressed seam cleaned it up then carefully recrimped it back together. Chucked up a square head bit to my cordless drill and ran it up to redline for a while. It works just fine to this day.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Steamboat7404

Postby Steamboat7404 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:40 pm

I oiled my tach up then used the cordless on it, in the hopes it would loosen up..That worked some but still have the same issue.

Steamboat7404

Postby Steamboat7404 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 am

Just an update, after oiling the tach up and working it over, the tach seems to be working much better. I have put some miles on the bike and the tach seems to be much faster in registering the bikes RPMs.

Thanks to all

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”