1982 Gl1100 no power [dead] with new solenoid

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Gnosistika
Motorcycle: 1980 BMW r65 (retired)
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

1982 Gl1100 no power [dead] with new solenoid

Postby Gnosistika » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:07 am

Hi Gents,

My motorcycle have zero power currently - I replaced the battery yesterday, got her running smoothly. Later the same day all i got was a clicking sound from the solenoid, though there was power the console and lights. I scoured the forums and checked for hydro-lock but there was only the same click from the solenoid, the engine did not turn over.

This morning i bought a new solenoid, figuring that has to be it, from the local bike shop [Honda do not support motorcycles older than '97 here]. There were only two options available to me: -

One that does not require a fuse, which I didn't take because old one has that dog bone fuse.

The second one uses a blade fuse, which is similar to the one on Amazon. This is the one I bought and installed... Only - There is an Extra red wire from the Battery coupling and there is ZERO power on the bike now, it is effectively dead.

So to my questions then:
1] With the one I installed where does the extra wire go? Will I have to cut into the wiring harness to connect it somewhere? - Task I am not relishing at doing at all, since the only thing I have done thus far on my Goldwing is replace the water pump.

2] Is it something else, like the starter?

3] Has anyone used the fuse-less solenoids on a goldwing before?

Thank you in advance. I'll Keep updating as I go... Hoping that it is not something serious though.

Thank you again.

**PS - mea culpa if there is a similar thread, I will openly admit my google-fu is suspect at best.

Wickus

"Of all the the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most"

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: 1982 Gl1100 no power [dead] with new solenoid

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:36 am

Got a picture? It will help us provide some insight.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 am

Honda is good at keeping wiring schemes the same between years. Here is a wiring schematic of the starter solenoid that may help.

Good luck

Ernest

Redzrx
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Redzrx » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:10 pm

I have had the same issue.. when I got the bike and just over the winter when putting engine back in..

1 make sure the batter is fully charged.. a drop in voltage will not turn over the starter .. .should read more than 12 volts at the battery

2 . your solenoid is working if you hear a clicking sound (odds are) .

3. clean all your connectors .. to the starter , to the solenoid and on the battery.

4. if nothing and above then remove the starter and clean it up.. I have clean mine up twice now .. easy to do.

important .. make sure that battery is move than 12 volts.. should be 12.1 to 12.4 .. if under 12 then charge it..

hope that helps

Mario

Gnosistika
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

Postby Gnosistika » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:39 am

Hi Gents

Thank you for the replies.

@Rednaxs60 - Thank you for that schematic. Helped a lot.

So here is my endeavour for this morning:
I put the old solenoid back in and she turned over! Ran her for a while switched her off, then tried to switched her on again and that single click again. At this point I installed the new solenoid, using Rednaxs60's schematic and had to change the plug around since the new solenoid connections are exactly the opposite. Good news from this was that I now have power back across the instruments and panel and the lights :D BUT I am still only getting that single click from the solenoid.

@Redzrx - The battery is brand new and fully charged. I'll start cleaning the connections and for the sake of my dwindling sanity I'll take your advice and clean the starter too. Figure that the unexpected engine turn this morning has something to do with the starter then.

Thank you again.

Gnosistika
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

Postby Gnosistika » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:12 am

So... I am following the steps for removing and reinstalling the starter.

This is what i found, thus far...

1) The end cap had no rubber gasket. Seems that there hasn’t been one in a long time.

2) The inside of end cap has a waxy strip running the whole of the inside. What is this for?
I found a number of metal "balls" embedded in it, looks like something melted - a wire maybe?

3) I have a bit of a problem. There are no screws to remove the armature, all the wires are soldered on and both wires are covered with a rubber type plastic. Guess i will have to solder them back on.

4) Brushes are terribly eroded... Those will have to be replaced - less than 3mm on either of them.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 pm

The click from the starter solenoid, if it is anything like a car, would indicate a low battery; however, in this case, you have a new, fully charged battery. Have read on various forums and threads that the starter does get dirty and wear making it turnover slowly or not at all. You mention that you are going to rebuild the starter, and once this is done, I'm of the opinion that the clicking of the starter solenoid will go away. Just my thoughts on the issue. Good luck with the rebuild of the starter.

Cheers

Ernest

Gnosistika
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

Postby Gnosistika » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:11 am

Hi guys...

Starter rebuilt, took a while - work got in the way, yet still only the click from the solenoid and nothing else... I am stumped. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Redzrx

Postby Redzrx » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 pm

1st still can't rule out the starter.. I would battery tender the battery overnight, make sure when you check the voltage on the battery it is above 12 volts.. to make sure fully charged..

2nd you can rule out the switch if you use a screw driver to arc across the starter solenoid terminals. this will make sure there is current/voltage going to the starter.. (you won't get zapped unless your in water and holding the steel part)

if does not turn over the starter.. then all it could be is the starter or the battery if you actually replaced the battery then I am still looking at the starter.. I have had a similar issue as yourself.. once was the battery and 2nd time was the starter.. went thru everything..

Arc out the Solenoid that way you can rule out the switch .. if you have the service manual there is a starter motor check section.. if need it let me know and I can email it to you..

Mario

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Postby chrisz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:23 pm

These are older bikes, check the grounds.

Gnosistika
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

Postby Gnosistika » Sat May 21, 2016 5:34 am

Thank you guys!

@Redzrx you were right...the starter.

Found a automative shop here that rebuilt the starter for me. Got it back after almost three weeks and I mounted it this morning. Started witout a hitch.

Now onto the next ghost in the machine.

Thank you gents.

Redzrx

Postby Redzrx » Sun May 22, 2016 12:01 am

Good to hear ... nice riding bikes when working.. you should be good for a while now with starting issues.. next issue you may have is bike not charging.. if it happens .. it's stator time .. so if you have any questions just ask.. I just changed mine over the winter.. I cursed a lot but was a good experience ..

Have fun

Mario

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”