Idle. How exactly the idel system works?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

Idle. How exactly the idel system works?

Postby processing » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Hello everybody
can anyone explain to me how idle works, but exactly? (gl 1100). I set thethrottle flaps in the intake just touching the little hole from the pilot screw as on carb # 3. As shown on Randakk's picture below. So vacuum should be close enough in all four. But what about the stopper screw for the throttle, the one used to set the idle RPMs? If I completely release it, the butterfly flaps are closed and pass the tiny hole, even on number 3, so there is no air intake....i guess And when exactly the "idle system" takes over, meaning when the idle jets are used and not the main jets? Anyway if anyone has the time to explain that to me in detail please do. I probably could find the info on the Internet but I'm too lazy :oops: . I prefer someone explaining that to me. :idea: Thanks a lot Peter

Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Idle. How exactly the idel system works?

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:06 pm

You might troll these articles to see if there is something that would explain it. Lots of good info in here, at the bottom of the page.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Idle. How exactly the idel system works?

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:54 pm

The slow speed jet feeds fuel to more than the holes by the throttle plate.There's one further toward the engine,the idle mixture screw.It alone provides a tiny amount of fuel for the slow idle.The staggered holes provide fuel as the throttle is first started to open up. I'd refer to them as "mid range" fuel supply ports.After these are providing fuel,the main jet starts its job all the way as throttle is wide open,slides are up and max and fuel flow is provided.
These carbs are described as "CV" or constant velocity carbs.Intended to provide the exact fuel/air mixture from idle to max.
As far as setting the throttle plate.Close is just that.Close.
All 4 throttle plates should be set as close as possible so they have the same opening.They need to open and close as close as mechanically possible.
THEN they need to be vacuum synced to the engine.
After a good sync.A really good one,not just close,Then the idle mixture adjustment needs yo be done.Most just set the screws by the book..I suppose its fair but I do take it as recommended.Do the idle down adjustment.
Check your vacuum timing advance system.A working one adds that little bit extra.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”