Lost power between 3-4K rpm and again at 5500

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Lost power between 3-4K rpm and again at 5500

Postby DocDan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 pm

This post will be a little long. I'm having a problem that I can't solve; not terribly new as I am far from a mechanic. My troubles began with the throttle. After starting, the bike will throttle up to 3000 rpm by itself regardless of any adjustments to the idle/mixture screw. To overcome this, I had to adjust the throttle at the handgrip until there was no play at all. The bike will accelerate smoothly up to 3k rpm, then it feels like I lose one or more cylinders. To overcome it, I have to turn the hand throttle to maximum and wait until it gets to 4K rpm before the lost cylinders return. Then I'm good until about 5500 when I lose power again. I've synchronized the carbs, but they only produce 20mmHg of vacuum, instead of the expected 50ish. Additionally, the choke doesn't seem to work at all. The cable works and I can see the levers actuate, but it does not affect the engine. I don't know if these are related, but I thought I should put it all in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Dodge, duck, dip, dive and ..... Dodge!"
- the 5 Ds of staff meetings.

Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Re: Lost power between 3-4K rpm and again at 5500

Postby 4wred » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:52 am

Sounds like at a minimum you're carbs are dirty,need to be cleaned out.Take the air filter out and get a mirror down in the plenum to see if you're choke plates are closing when you pull the choke on.With the engine running using the mirror again rap the throttle and check to see if you're slides are working,moving up and down with the rpms.good luck!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”