power no start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
straussauto2001
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

power no start

Postby straussauto2001 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:53 pm

Okay so i have an 80 gl 1100 per title but definately a mutt bike when I got it as I have had alot of issues finding right parts as I have parts from 78-80 on the bike.

have a good battery thats charged via maintainer

first time starting bike for the season it started but was a rough start like usual from storing all winter with starting it maybe 3 times all winter.
rode to gas station to fill up tank and bike would not restart. It clicked but would not crank so i pinned it down to bad solenoid which i replaced.
went out yesterday for a ride started up just fine no issues.
go out today and hop on it and this is where i am stuck

symptoms
POWER YES
HIT START BUTTON AND NO CLICK NO NOTHING
SO OBVIOUS I CHECKED THE 30 MAIN FUSE WHICH WAS REPLACED PRIOR TO OWNERSHIP WITH GLASS TUBE. WHICH IS GOOD AND IF NOT IT GOT REPLACED ANY WAYS. THE NEW SOLENOID IS THE RELAY STYLE WITH 2 WIRES CONNECTED TO IT OUT OF 4 ON RELAY WITH FUSE. CHECKED FUSE AND FUSE IS GOOD.
SO I TRIED JUMPING STARTER AND STARTER TURNS OVER.
NEXT WENT TO THE SOLENOID AND JUMPED ACROSS THE 2 POSTS AND BIKE STARTS.

So question is do i have a bad start button on bars or is it bad solenoid. not exactly sure about bikes and wiring as the bike has been getting overhauled over last 2 years getting aftermarket stereo led lights here and there but still working out the bugs with that as the OEM flasher relay won't support LED. Hopefully someone can help me out The solenoid is less than 3 weeks old and maybe been started 5 times and riden maybe 100 miles.

Thank you in advance for your responses. I have seen a couple other topics similar but not 100% like my issue.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: power no start

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:33 am

Could be either..check for power to the solenoid when you press the starter button no power = button; power = solenoid. Or connections to and from. Several threads on which wire is which..and where power should be..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

straussauto2001

Postby straussauto2001 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:54 am

Okay just a quick update I'm sure bike shouldn't be wired this way but with key off I can still jump solenoid. There is 2 red wires 1 has the dog bone fuse in it which is connected to same side as main battery wire to solenoid will this matter

straussauto2001

Postby straussauto2001 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Okay so here is an update

So the headlight does go out when I push start button. The yellow red wire which goes to kill switch has power when pressed. AnD has no power when depressed. The green red wire has very little power to turn light on. Guessing that goes to neutral safety as my neutral light goes out when I unplug from relay. A little background my neutral light has had a mind of its own last 2 years and comes on when in gear and off when in neutral and sometimes it works correctly. So I'm guessing that connection needs cleaning where ever that may be haven't found it yet. The solenoid still does not click when pressing start button. Bike starts and runs if I jump the solenoid.

What should I be checking or replacing as solenoid is only 3 weeks old.
New solenoid
New solenoid

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”