Melted wiring problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Steveschnuck
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda gl 1100 aspencade

Melted wiring problem

Postby Steveschnuck » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:54 pm

I have melted wires coming from battery. The wire is green with red stipe coming from solenoid going to a relay by the voltage regulator, splitting off going to the passenger side in front by the thermostat and timing cover. It disappears into engine block. I do have a conversion kit on this? What are these wires Please?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Melted wiring problem

Postby dingdong » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:49 am

See if this will help. Located in Manuals section above. http://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Go ... -88D8B.jpg
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:28 am

Steveschnuck wrote:I have melted wires coming from battery. The wire is green with red stipe coming from solenoid going to a relay by the voltage regulator, splitting off going to the passenger side in front by the thermostat and timing cover. It disappears into engine block. I do have a conversion kit on this? What are these wires Please?

It sounds like it might be aftermarket - added by a previous owner. Is the wire connected to the positive or negative terminal on the battery? Can you post a picture of it?

If it is connected to the postive terminal, and there is no fuse on the wire CLOSE to the battery, then it is absolutely aftermarket, and installed by someone who shouldn't have been doing electrical work. Fusing a wire close to the battery is to prevent melted wires like you describe, in the case of a short circuit.

Steveschnuck

Postby Steveschnuck » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:18 pm

This is wear it leaves solenoid.
This is wear it leaves solenoid.

Steveschnuck

Postby Steveschnuck » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:19 pm

This is some sort of breaker.
This is some sort of breaker.

Steveschnuck

Postby Steveschnuck » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:21 pm

This is it running  on top of timing  cover.
This is it running on top of timing cover.

Steveschnuck

Postby Steveschnuck » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:23 pm

And in between  timing cover and engine block. I just purchased  this bike.
And in between timing cover and engine block. I just purchased this bike.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:51 pm

That's extremely odd. OK, first off the wiring is running to the solenoid, not to the battery, and it is all OEM.

The reason it's odd is because the green/red wire is the starter interlock. This wire is grounded when the clutch is pulled in, or when the bike is in neutral, to allow the solenoid to close.

The "breaker module" you see is actually a diode, that is used to allow the bike to start without pulling in the clutch, if the bike is in neutral.

The only way the kind of damage you show could occur is if +12 volts was routed directly into that wire. Unless the solenoid coil itself shorted out, this shouldn't be possible.

The solenoid in your pictures is NOT original - it is an aftermarket replacement. I wonder if the pin layout on that solenoid is different, and it put +12 volts into the solenoid ground, melting the wires?

You've got a bunch of melted wires that are going to have to be replaced, and I would definitely run function tests on that solenoid before connecting it back up, to make sure it is working the way the original Honda one worked. Several of the aftermarket replacement solenoids have different connector pinouts on the top, and that can cause this sort of problem.

Steveschnuck

Postby Steveschnuck » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks, I've already ordered a new solenoid, and I'm going to change the wiring harness. What seems odd to me is on the alternator conversion, I only have 1 wire running from alternator. Red hot to 50 amp fuse 5 inch from battery. Nothing to plug in to clip on alternator.And the voltage regulator was still hooked up? I hear it gets unplugged when you do the conversion? 3 yellow wires running from solenoid is the stator,disconnect them.?So to wire a alternator the wires go to fuse box, not clear on that? So maybe the project was never completed, and the wires had juice from both stator and alternator causing them to melt? Not sure. I know the previous owner replaced Soleniold twice and had to jump it with a brand new battery to get it to start? I really appreciate the help. I was tempted to just put it in the shop.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”